Would you take flight lessons from a 94 year old woman?

I read about her a few years ago. I'd take lessons from her...lot's of experience!! And if she's still getting a medical, what the heck!!!

Actually, one of the most world reknown aerobatics instructor was an old lady named Amelia Reid. I think she also taught Sean Tucker.

I'd get screamed at by her every week or so when my students would screw up in the pattern.

I would, definitely.

One of the guys I work with quit working on his private right as I started and I'm trying to get him back into it with my old instructor...but he doesn't work weekends. Knowing this guy's personality, I thought he'd mesh well with one of the female instructors out there...I suggested that to him and he was like "I don't think I could have a woman instructor..."
confused.gif

Heck nawww, just from the simple her reflexes must have deteriorated to a very noticeable degree. I would rather find a 50-60 year old instructor.

P.S. - Has she been tested recently in an emergency situation? You may not have the answer, but that would be a question I have.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. - Has she been tested recently in an emergency situation? You may not have the answer, but that would be a question I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure she's had a BFR....isn't that test enough??

I'd probably do it but I may be nervous. Ya know how old folks that are healthy sometimes just drop dead

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm sure she's had a BFR....isn't that test enough??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, BFRs are pretty much infallible, right? Just like all those other government tests and restrictions.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, BFRs are pretty much infallible, right? Just like all those other government tests and restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know?

Next question is who is renewing her instructor rating. Is it some guy/gal that has known her for years and just couldn't flunk a friend for whatever reason.
Man, this is like Arsenio Hall and things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....................
But, bottom line is that I give mucho props to someone that has been instructing that long and still enjoys it.

A 94 year old woman is one thing, what about a guy with no hands?

First off, I'm not making fun. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for the guy.

He used to instruct at SIK (Sikeston, MO) a couple of years ago and then he went to Poplar Bluff, MO. Don't know if he's still there though.

I've been told he was one of the last of the thalidomide babies. Thalidomide was used in the early 60's as a "wonder drug" and was approved for use by pregnant women. But it can cause massive deformity in the unborn fetus.

He has "flippers" with one or two fingers at the end of each. He has one normal leg but wears a prosthesis on the other leg because it's deformed (I think this is correct about his legs).

He grips the yoke by using rubber bands. He can whip them around it somehow and then "wrap" his flippers to the controls. Feet are no problem. I'm sure he spent an ungodly amount of money getting all the necessary waivers. As noted, I've got a tremendous amount of respect for his sheer determination. He would not take no for an answer and he kept his eyes on his goal.

But would you fly with him?

[ QUOTE ]
But, if he gave me a discount, I just might....

[/ QUOTE ]

A "five-finger" discount?

I know, I know ... straight to hell.
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooooohhhhh.............you bad.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost said it....
grin.gif
......but I knew somebody else would pick it up....lol.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost said it....
grin.gif
......but I knew somebody else would pick it up....lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

How sad of a commentary, on the quality of the members of this site, when that's soooo true?
grin.gif

This is what happens when I only post during work hours.... I miss out on cool opportunities to post things like "five finger discount".
grin.gif

Cause you KNOW I woulda.... with my smartass.
cool.gif

Back