Would you fly in this?

Some of those pictures are absolutely amazing...especially the supercell shots!

He's a weather research pilot who flies a armored T-28 Trojan through thunderstorms for a living.
Here's a link to some pictures of his aircraft.

Here's a link to more storm images from one of the pilots of said aircraft.

Maybe this will sound strange, but I think I'd like to try that. Once.

Those pix are awesome! I cant believe the lightning strike pix!! Speaking of, does a lightning strike mess up small planes? As a student working on a PPL, I have no intention of ever finding out, but I would assume that any metal plane would just create a de-facto faraday cage and not harm those inside.

Stuff like this is why I need to be an FO somewhere before I do anything else.

In Vegas, you just don't see stuff like this.

If there's a thunderstorm on the west side of the valley, you fly on the East side. ;)

Stuff like this is why I need to be an FO somewhere before I do anything else.

In Vegas, you just don't see stuff like this.

If there's a thunderstorm on the west side of the valley, you fly on the East side. ;)

I you fly between Vegas and Burbank during the summer you'll learn what thunderstorms are all about.;)

Mr. Summers is also an Examiner. I got my private certificate from him. The Weather Channel showed him flying through some nasty weather a few times, but I've never found the video.

I you fly between Vegas and Burbank during the summer you'll learn what thunderstorms are all about.;)
It's not just the summers...EVERY flight I've made between SoCal and Vegas has involved diverting around those famous pop-up Tstrms. In every month of the year. Some flights I had no option but to turn around or climb to FL250 or higher. And I don't fly that high so climbing was not an option.

I'm a wx magnet.:rolleyes:

Those pix are awesome! I cant believe the lightning strike pix!! Speaking of, does a lightning strike mess up small planes? As a student working on a PPL, I have no intention of ever finding out, but I would assume that any metal plane would just create a de-facto faraday cage and not harm those inside.

For the most part, I think that is exactly what happens. I think the main issues are the entrance/exit points. If those points are anywhere near a fuel tank or avionics or anything like that, bad things happen. I'm not electrician, nor has any plane of mine been struck by lightning, so I'm sure someone else can inform you better.

I got into some small stuff over by McGrath once, I don't like lightning, its some fierce looking stuff.

-pat

Well it was flying vegas-dagget-edwards area-modesto that I learned what VFR on top REALLY means.

Back