Would you ever leave Dispatch for some other department?

The money that dispatchers make at a major compared to other departments helps to discourage it, but I have always thought route and network analyst could be fun.

To tack onto this -- what sort of jobs within the industry could one possibly transition into with prior dispatch/flying experience?

To tack onto this -- what sort of jobs within the industry could one possibly transition into with prior dispatch/flying experience?

I've seen plenty go into Safety... Dispatching training/standards. One dispatcher I worked with is now a pilot ground school instructor. Network Planning probably isn't too out of the question, especially if you go into whatever your tail routing position is called at your carrier of choice. Duty managers. A couple dispatchers finished their ratings and then became pilots. So you have options if dispatch just isn't for you.

I've seen plenty go into Safety... Dispatching training/standards. One dispatcher I worked with is now a pilot ground school instructor. Network Planning probably isn't too out of the question, especially if you go into whatever your tail routing position is called at your carrier of choice. Duty managers. A couple dispatchers finished their ratings and then became pilots. So you have options if dispatch just isn't for you.
I love the job, came over from the flying side because of medical stuff, just a little concerned about what the future holds for the profession.....

I love the job, came over from the flying side because of medical stuff, just a little concerned about what the future holds for the profession

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't think there's really any reason to think that this profession is going anywhere anytime soon. ESPECIALLY in this environment. With all the stuff happening in the news with aviation safety, a safety oriented position like ours is not going anywhere for a long while.

I
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't think there's really any reason to think that this profession is going anywhere anytime soon. ESPECIALLY in this environment. With all the stuff happening in the news with aviation safety, a safety oriented position like ours is not going anywhere for a long while.
I tend to agree...the rational side of me says we're going to be good for a long time...but the irrational side of me says to freak out😂

Probably not for a very long time. Would have to be some high up position. But by that time the pay, days off, the four day flexible schedule I want, etc will probably golden handcuff me.

I love the job, came over from the flying side because of medical stuff, just a little concerned about what the future holds for the profession.....
My opinion it’s not going anywhere in your life time in America. As for other countries they have systems like Lido and they have the automation where they could crank out releases like there is no tomorrow. I was told with a European dispatcher, in America dispatch career isn’t going anywhere for a while.

No. While going into the training department is interesting, you still work a desk. That’s as adventurous as I get.

How do you become an AA dispatcher? Become a dispatch sector manager.

When our JCBA was signed after the merger, a clause was put in to allow dispatchers to stay on the seniority list if they were to be promoted up the chain as a way to encourage dispatchers to apply for promotions to management which few had done.

At the same time, existing sector managers were allowed to join the seniority list and pay union dues.

All but one two of those managers self demoted to dispatch. Several managers hired since have applied for dispatch and thus been demoted to dispatch.

Very few if any dispatchers have been promoted or applied for promotions to the management ranks over the past decade.

Dispatch work rules, job security and pay are better than most management jobs.

During the pandemic, dispatchers were given paid days off and those furloughed quickly brought back with back pay. Many even were paid full salaries not to work for several months. Management employees that were laid off were not brought back and did not get paid days off like union groups.

Its probably better to be a dispatcher than a manager all things considered.

How do you become an AA dispatcher? Become a dispatch sector manager.

When our JCBA was signed after the merger, a clause was put in to allow dispatchers to stay on the seniority list if they were to be promoted up the chain as a way to encourage dispatchers to apply for promotions to management which few had done.

At the same time, existing sector managers were allowed to join the seniority list and pay union dues.

All but one two of those managers self demoted to dispatch. Several managers hired since have applied for dispatch and thus been demoted to dispatch.

Very few if any dispatchers have been promoted or applied for promotions to the management ranks over the past decade.

Dispatch work rules, job security and pay are better than most management jobs.

During the pandemic, dispatchers were given paid days off and those furloughed quickly brought back with back pay. Many even were paid full salaries not to work for several months. Management employees that were laid off were not brought back and did not get paid days off like union groups.

It’s probably better to be a dispatcher than a manager all things considered.

Same at my shop. We call sector managers ‘system controllers’ and I believe only once has a dispatcher went over there and stayed. But the opposite is true. Too much politics and bs/drama associated with that job. I just want to come in, plan and follow my flights, and go home without having to answer to big wigs.

Same at my shop. We call sector managers ‘system controllers’ and I believe only once has a dispatcher went over there and stayed. But the opposite is true. Too much politics and bs/drama associated with that job. I just want to come in, plan and follow my flights, and go home without having to answer to big wigs.
Same. I once thought about moving up the ranks. I've since realized that was more the outside pressure of our culture that says if you aren't moving up, you're somehow less than. Now, I'm perfectly happy sitting a domestic dispatch desk. I'm making more money than I would dreamed 10 years ago. I might someday consider a select position like ATC or regional operations coordinator. But that would still be in the dispatch group and under the contract.

Same. I once thought about moving up the ranks. I've since realized that was more the outside pressure of our culture that says if you aren't moving up, you're somehow less than. Now, I'm perfectly happy sitting a domestic dispatch desk. I'm making more money than I would dreamed 10 years ago. I might someday consider a select position like ATC or regional operations coordinator. But that would still be in the dispatch group and under the contract.

For sure. Our system controllers are not under the DX umbrella, yet. Hear that will change sometime short/medium term. I wouldn’t mind getting that override, but that’s about it. I want 85%+ of my career doing what I enjoy.

Back