Worth the effort to network now vs 3+ yrs down the road?

pullup

Homewrecker
Re: Who's registered?

I am going back and forth over whether or not to go. I am not super active on the boards and am currently saving up for training. What is everyones suggestion? Is it worth it for me to start networking now when a professional pilot position may be 3+ yrs down the road?

I am going back and forth over whether or not to go. I am not super active on the boards and am currently saving up for training. What is everyones suggestion? Is it worth it for me to start networking now when a professional pilot position may be 3+ yrs down the road?

You can start now and get some advice and find out how they got started, as well as other info. Sometimes these face to face meetings can help out when you want a job, buddies that can help you out with flying, and others that can get you though other doors like everyone in this forum, it is like an extended family. I would meet a lot of nice people through things like this as well as airliner collectible shows and Airventure Oshkosh where I helped out with a booth there. I met a lot of people through these things and met some people who helped me out along the way and I want to do the same with this board and events like Network JC.

You know, as much as the whole networking thing is effective and true, a NJC event at its core is fun. My opinion about NJCs is that the networking is a happy by-product of a good time had by all. Too much focus on the networking aspect is unhealthy IMO - I certainly don't want to hang out for a weekend with a bunch of people only interested in advancing their careers. I want to hang out with people who are cool to hang out with.

I went to NJC 06 with no intentions of leaving my present job anytime soon. I went for the experience and to meet the whack-jobs I've grown accustomed to on this site. Turns out, without my knowing it, I got myself recommended for a job.

See, happy accident. :)

Besides being a great group of people, this circle knows where you're going. We have all been where you are and are spreckled along the career path you are navigating. You can learn about things from people in front of you and share your wisdom with people behind you. Networking is something that comes naturally if you are sharing good times.

My wife is not a pilot but she was going to go to JC Vegas last year without me if I couldn't go because she likes the group. As soon as I told her about Chicago she put it on her calendar. Come, have fun, learn, teach, drink and tell lies!:nana2:(that's just a saying)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do believe that I will be going then! Sounds like a blast, and I can't wait for it. I have to check flights and see what's what. Thanks again!

You know, as much as the whole networking thing is effective and true, a NJC event at its core is fun. My opinion about NJCs is that the networking is a happy by-product of a good time had by all. Too much focus on the networking aspect is unhealthy IMO - I certainly don't want to hang out for a weekend with a bunch of people only interested in advancing their careers. I want to hang out with people who are cool to hang out with.

I agree with you.:yeahthat:
There is a big difference between who you know online and who you meet in person. I notice this when I am active on other boards about aviation and when I get to meet them in person through Airline collectible shows and other things like Network JC. We can network and have fun at the same time. And mabye talk about some crazy stories when I was learning to fly and my instructor did this-stories like that which you can laugh and remember forever from stuff like this.:laff:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

My career is happening NOW because of NJC 2004.

It's doubtful that I'll be at Chicago, but with good luck I'll be in Vegas.

Just think man, if an ####### like me can get a job because of this website, ANYBODY can :)

If the train hasn't takin' a whack at you, it's because he's getting soft in his old age . . .:yar:

Oh, we've had it out in cyberspace! I'm trying to remember if I p-ed someone off enough to want it to carry over to "reality". :) But seriously, I hope to start some serious networking because opportunities may come sooner than later for me.

You know, I haven't met one person from this site that I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth to get them a job.

The people I've argued with the most are probably the people I get along with the best.

You know, I haven't met one person from this site that I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth to get them a job.

The people I've argued with the most are probably the people I get along with the best.

The caliber of people on this site seem to fall to the "cool guy, would do anything for him" side. I have a select few that I would like to meet so they don't think I'm a total ass :)

Looking forward to getting my networking on.

That's true. We argue all the time. :)

See us in real life and we're like a damn married couple. Don't throw a mousepad at me.

actually... we debate (!) and every now and then, neither side is right :)

Back