Worst Fall for Flying

Weather's been great (except for this last week) down here in Okie Land! Hope all of you get some better luck, there's no way i could survive up there.

Yeah,

We literally can't survive outside... it's physically impossible. A few degrees colder and we'll have to call NASA for space suits... good extreme environment testing anyways.

The other problem we have is in everything besides the seminoles, we have no heat in the aircraft. Yeah, they have a switch but freakin' cold air over lukewarm exhausts equal still freakin' cold air!

The WARGs were always colder than the WARRs... something about the way the heat was ducted to the cabin... Do you guys even have WARRs anymore?

Yeah, we have a split fleet of WARR/WARG and then we're transitioning to the C172 for everyone, but that'll be some time. The other problem is the number of students in the WARR/WARG is really big, and with weather, everyone tries to fly on the good days, making flying consistently hard.

I also agree, the heat was better in the WARR.

I know several people who are still not done with 323. I am in good shape compared to the rest, I only have 1 XC to do and I know some people who are on the stage 70.

I myself had trouble with financial aid because the Lender I had selected had elected to no longer do student loans, .. which when I called UND to ask where my aid was they said oh we were supposed to call you to tell you that the Lender you selected doesn't do student financial aid anymore. Somehow they forgot.

I also was sick for about two weeks and I had to cancel my Stage 70 Flight and Oral. Then by the time I got my stage finished due to weather/scheduling issues (mainly the instructors availability) a month had gone by. Now ever since I finished my stage, which was before Thanksgiving I might add, I keep getting weathered on my cross country.

That being said, I sit here today typing to you all with my cross country planned and the windchill at -24 which is only a few degrees keeping me from going on my cross country. I am monitoring the windchill constantly so that I can call my instructor so I can hop in a plane and go!

A lot people who complain about financial aid brought it on themselves. I defiantly don’t mean all, but many. I used to hear people in class complain about it and when I asked if they had personally gone and talk to Janelle face to face, “well, no.” Well did you go see Dotty? “Well, no”. It’s like people expect that since they signed up for a class a check just magically appears. I know its not convenient to keep tracking these people down and keep pressure on them to get your stuff taken care of but have a little bit of personal responsibility. I had my loans screwed up nearly every semester but it never once slowed my flight training because I stayed on top of it.

A lot people who complain about financial aid brought it on themselves. I defiantly don’t mean all, but many. I used to hear people in class complain about it and when I asked if they had personally gone and talk to Janelle face to face, “well, no.” Well did you go see Dotty? “Well, no”. It’s like people expect that since they signed up for a class a check just magically appears. I know its not convenient to keep tracking these people down and keep pressure on them to get your stuff taken care of but have a little bit of personal responsibility. I had my loans screwed up nearly every semester but it never once slowed my flight training because I stayed on top of it.

I have spoken to Dotty and Janelle countless times, but this fall was a little outrageous however. Chase bank had approved my Stafford Loans and it took forever for them to disburse the money. There is only so much that Dotty can give in terms of money on agreement. There is whole slew of factors that cause financial aid delay. I am curious as to how undergraduate flight training is going to be affected come next year. Banks are quite tough with loaning money out in the current economic climate.

While it is sad to hear that some people are not getting there flight courses completed on time it is the luck of the draw. UND does not have control over the student loan process. If the lender is being slow then that is how it is. Get over it, to those who complain that UND is the problem. While UND is not perfect it is however a good school and people are generally willing to help. To those who have the money but are getting weathered, thats how aviation is. Even at the airlines, corporate, 135 you sometimes cant fly because the weather blows. While it might be awhile till weather clears out you can do other things such as briefings. If you have completed all of the briefings then study the POM and FARs so that when you do take your stage you are prepared.

People you need to stop blaming everybody else for things they have no control of. If you dont like UND then leave, otherwise man up or woman up for some and deal with it. life isnt always fair and if you deal with what life is throwing at you and make the best of it you will succeed. I have stayed over several of my breaks to finish a flight course and you know what I got more done in that time than during the semester because my flight instructor and I were the only two people flying. As for aircraft availability and flight instructor shortages. Airplanes are scheduled on a flight lab basis. I know that alot of my former students would try to fly outside of there lab times because they scheduled classes at there lab times. So maybe instead of flying when you want ,fly when you are suppose too and that might alievate some of the problem. The reason there is a flight instructor shortage right now is because UND works them hard. I was one of them and will gladly return if my services are needed and I need something to put food on the table. Now some of the reasons why there are less instructors is because there are a few students who take advantage of the instructors and basically wear there nerves thin. Other times its just UND policy that gets to them.There also those with SJS. So they fall into other sectors of aviation and do there thing. What does it mean to the student?It means, treat your instructors with respect no matter what level of experience they have and just be thankful that someone is taking time out of there day to work with you to achieve your goal.

Remember you cant spell success with complain.

Farv

Today quite a number of factors lead to nothing productive getting done. I had a dual launch at 1:00 and 3:00PM today. Bravo ramp was not cleared, so I could not get my 1:00PM launch off the ground. An hour before my 3:00PM launch, AIMS decided that I am not going flying. Reduced hours start today. I was unaware of this along with my instructor because AIMS displayed our launch time 3:00PM being available. Here I am contemplating whether to go home or not. My instructor is out until the 28th, there is no one available to cover me between now and then. I was thinking I could stay productive by getting a spin flight between now and the 28th, but that looks impossible. Only the Cessna's are doing spin flights right now and only a few are checked out in them. Spoke to the lead responsible for spin flight and was told I am low on the totem pole since guys are done with their 31 still waiting for a spin flight. Weighing my options, I am thinking of heading out and coming back on the 28th.

Farva you got a great response.

The way i see it is if most people can't handle the BS at UND they definitely won't be able to handle the BS at an airline.

Farva you got a great response.

The way i see it is if most people can't handle the BS at UND they definitely won't be able to handle the BS at an airline.

The positive end of this, is that if you see the BS at UND, it may help you decide that you NEVER want to fly for an airline, and pursue one of the MANY other jobs out there in aviation. :)

The positive end of this, is that if you see the BS at UND, it may help you decide that you NEVER want to fly for an airline, and pursue one of the MANY other jobs out there in aviation. :)

Wow. Cold day in hell but I can actually agree with a statement by TX.

Although I didn't really experience any BS at UND, I did discover about half way through my training that I had no desire to make flying a career. For me selling them and occasionally flying them is much more enjoyable.

My god.......I agree with him too. I never thought this would ever happen. But he does have a point. As much as the faculty at UND Aerospace want you to believe, they are not preparing you for life at the airline but how to get the job at the airline. I have worked many jobs since I turned 14 and there was always BS with each one.

Back