Working on Aviation Masters while Full-time CFI?

Zidac

The in-class/streaming/download delivery method of the Masters in Aviation classes seems very flexible. Still, I figure a full-time UND CFI might only be able to get away with taking 1 class at a time before going insane. Has anyone tried this or know someone who has?

I got involved in the Masters program after being a full time CFI for a year. I was getting bored instructing and a few profs. convinced me to do it. It's a great program, but it can be a little tricky depending on how many students you schedule and how efficient you are at doing it. There were a few times where a bout of bad weather was welcomed with excitement as it offered a sure chance to get some work done.

Most students in the program are full time professionals with real jobs and they get by fine. It's just a scheduling/efficiency game. I believe there are a few CFIs in the program now. My biggest problem was that I had far too much on my plate. I was instructing full time, working the SOF desk, working as a graduate assistant (got free tuition by doing this), and coaching the flying team. I usually took two classes per semester as the tuition waiver covered six credits. I took a FO position at XJT mostly for the guaranteed time off to devote to finishing the program.

I got involved in the Masters program after being a full time CFI for a year. I was getting bored instructing and a few profs. convinced me to do it. It's a great program, but it can be a little tricky depending on how many students you schedule and how efficient you are at doing it. There were a few times where a bout of bad weather was welcomed with excitement as it offered a sure chance to get some work done.

Most students in the program are full time professionals with real jobs and they get by fine. It's just a scheduling/efficiency game. I believe there are a few CFIs in the program now. My biggest problem was that I had far too much on my plate. I was instructing full time, working the SOF desk, working as a graduate assistant (got free tuition by doing this), and coaching the flying team. I usually took two classes per semester as the tuition waiver covered six credits. I took a FO position at XJT mostly for the guaranteed time off to devote to finishing the program.

It sounds like you had a lot going on. It's impressive that you were able to do all of that, though. What kind of work did you do during your graduate assistantship?

As a graduate assistant, you are essentially the professors' go-for. I typically, proctored exams. I occasionally taught private pilot ground school and helped operate the altitude chamber. I also helped a few professors on their research as a research assistant, collecting data in the GAT sim. It was a fun job that allowed me to become more involved with the school and learn more about how universities operate. I was also able to get to know several of the professors a lot better.

I'm a military pilot and got my Master's from ERAU, using both classroom and online, mostly online as I deployed to Korea for a year during. I came back, flying my ass off and still managed to do it but I did it slowly, 1 class at a time with some time off between when needed.

I'm a military pilot and got my Master's from ERAU, using both classroom and online, mostly online as I deployed to Korea for a year during. I came back, flying my ass off and still managed to do it but I did it slowly, 1 class at a time with some time off between when needed.

I was accepted into the ERAU Master of Aeronautical Science program this past January but have held off on actually enrolling for class. Which track did you specialize in and what did you think of the program? I certainly mean no disrespect, but I was a little concerned about the academic rigor of the program since neither a GRE score nor a private pilot certificate was required. I'm not sure if ERAU Worldwide is essentially an open enrollment type of program, but I was accepted so easily that it seemed that way. Being a non-profit school, this surprised me. For these reasons, I'm leaning towards UND if I go for the Master's but I would like to hear what you thought about ERAU's coursework, instructors, students, etc.

I was accepted into the ERAU Master of Aeronautical Science program this past January but have held off on actually enrolling for class. Which track did you specialize in and what did you think of the program? I certainly mean no disrespect, but I was a little concerned about the academic rigor of the program since neither a GRE score nor a private pilot certificate was required. I'm not sure if ERAU Worldwide is essentially an open enrollment type of program, but I was accepted so easily that it seemed that way. Being a non-profit school, this surprised me. For these reasons, I'm leaning towards UND if I go for the Master's but I would like to hear what you thought about ERAU's coursework, instructors, students, etc.

Hey dude, replied to your PM.

Back