Working as a ramp agent.

navymmw

Hello, I’m currently a high school junior and I’m looking into going to either Boston College or Boston University and majoring in aviation engineering. While in college I was hoping to get a job at Boston Logan as a ramp agent, I know I will meet all the requirements except for the flexible schedule part. What I was wondering was if most ramp agent employers are open to hiring college students and giving them a schedule that works around their college schedule. Also I was wondering if anyone knew if Boston Logan ramp agents are hired by an airline, or by the massport authority. If there is any college students who currently work as a ramp agent would you mind explaining how your schedule works out and how you got hired? Comments would be appreciated, thank you.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I worked for Horizon for one year and they do not work with your college schedule, that is why I did online classes. When you first start you work ready relief and you work whatever they throw at you, it not until you get enough seniority that you can hold a line. Then you might be able to. I worked for UPS before Horizon at the airport, but did not work on the ramp because they had a contract with another firm and they were predictable because it was Monday through Friday from 4 pm till 7 pm. When you apply for a pilot job, have your old boss call the chief pilot and put in a good word. Good luck.

My friend worked at UPS loading planes. He got paid well, had benefits, flexible schedule, and tuition reimbursement.

I worked at Pinnacle and they did work with my schedule.... although most don't like it I worked overnights cleaning the aircraft and whatnot.... did it for a while until I graduated college and got my first real flying job.

Some do offer flexible schedules, though they are probably rare. I know Independence Air had a student flex program where you had to work a min of 8 hours a week, and you were able to pick what hours you wanted to work. They also offered summer flex for students on summer break. But they went out of business and I'm sure there's not much out there that offer similar scheduling.
I worked for delta global for a while part time during school, 20 hours (3 8hour shifts a week). It worked out great: I did my hw in between banks and then went flying on the weekends. However I was going to community college at the time. I think it would have been harder to do that while at VA Tech. One thing you must take into consideration is the time to and from work. If working for an airline in a major airport, it takes a while to travel from the employee parking lot through security and to your work area. It generally took me 30 minutes in addition to my commute from my house.
Oh and on a side note…BC is going down this weekend.

<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId><META content="Microsoft Word 12" name=Generator><META content="Microsoft Word 12" name=Originator><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CMatt%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CMatt%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" rel=themeData><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CMatt%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" rel=colorSchemeMapping><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE> Some do offer flexible schedules, though they are probably rare. I know Independence Air had a student flex program where you had to work a min of 8 hours a week, and you were able to pick what hours you wanted to work. They also offered summer flex for students on summer break. But they went out of business and I'm sure there's not much out there that offer similar scheduling.
It was the best job I've had to date.
Who can beat playing with airplanes and brake riding all day? Not to mention working with people who actually had a clue.

I worked for delta global for a while part time during school, 20 hours (3 8hour shifts a week). It work out great: I did my hw in between banks and then went flying on the weekends. However I was going to community college at the time. I think it would have been harder to do that while at VA Tech. Some things you must take into consideration is the time to and from work. If working for an airline in a major airport, it takes a while to travel from the employee parking lot through security and to your work area. It generally took me 30 minutes in addition to my commute from my house.
I wouldn't do it as a college job unless you could work something out with the airline. My friend was able to work with FedEx continuously, but that's because he worked for them for a few years straight while attending community college. After that, he enrolled in some program they have that offers tuition assistance, and then went home on occasional weekends and on breaks to help them out. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it was a good one for him.

Oh and on a side note…BC is going down this weekend.
Knowing us, it's debatable, but in the spirit of pre-game trash talk...
:yeahthat:

I worked for Express Jet over the summer at OKC. I got lucky and got one of the few bids that had all night shifts (since i was taking summer classes during the morning and day) however even with this it was extremely difficult working for them while taking classes. Our station was under staffed so people were constantly getting mandated which was a lot of BS. In the end i had to end up leaving because getting home from teh airport at 2-3am and having 8am instrument ground school with no time for naps through the day got to hard and the mandates became even worse the closer Express Jet got to shutting down. My bud and i spent more than a night sleeping in baggage carts because we just finished our evening shift at 3am and were mandated for the morning 5am shift.

I did it for two years (go to college full time and hump bags). The lead that did the schedule and I had an "agreement" for me to make me a schedule to bid on, and since I was #2 on the PT list I always got it.

After two years they wanted all the part time employees to be their bitches and work all the freaking time, and i told them where they can put their heads. I alllllmost walked out on them one day, than used the 4 sick days I had accumulated that I would loose after I left and gave my notice.

If you do decide to do it, pledge to yourself that school comes first. The allure of money any playing with airplanes is a lot but don't let that trap you into being stuck there like so many people end up.

Hello, I’m currently a high school junior and I’m looking into going to either Boston College or Boston University and majoring in aviation engineering. While in college I was hoping to get a job at Boston Logan as a ramp agent, I know I will meet all the requirements except for the flexible schedule part. What I was wondering was if most ramp agent employers are open to hiring college students and giving them a schedule that works around their college schedule. Also I was wondering if anyone knew if Boston Logan ramp agents are hired by an airline, or by the massport authority. If there is any college students who currently work as a ramp agent would you mind explaining how your schedule works out and how you got hired? Comments would be appreciated, thank you.ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I worked for AirTran as a college student...twice. Got hired the summer after my freshman year and figured I'd work there for the summer, and then if it didn't work out with my next semester class schedule, I would quit. First fall semester, I lucked out, was able to work full full time and go to school full time. Next semester, not so lucky. The schedules tend to be very rigid, just like you are expecting...However, I got luck again by adjusting my classes a bit and bidding a new schedule. Absolutely loved the job, at least most of the time. I finally became a flight instructor my junior year and I was doing that, going to school, and working for the airline. I finally had to quit the airline. Ended up losing my medical about eight months later b/c of surgery. After I recovered and before I got my medical back, they were happy to hire me back at AirTran...still a college student.

And now I'm back instructing:)

Long story short, yes they will hire you, but you'll need some luck and careful planning/schedule management.

Good Luck and Enjoy

You might try Signature Flight Support, I think they are still the FBO at BOS. Better pay and more flexible schedules, not to mention tips!!! Plus much better networking, even though you're young, it's never too early to start a business card collection. PM me if you're interested. If it's still a Signature location I know a couple of location managers and supervisors, they might be able to find out for me some more 411 for you.

Its still a Signature down there.

If you have the 'people skills' working at an FBO cant be beat. Did that for a summer too. Airline ops is a drag compared to working at an FBO, where working hard is rewarded, rather than frowned upon.

I'll second the go for signature motion. Also if you have wheels check out Jet and Signature at Bedford too.

I worked for US at PHL my entire senior year of college and beyond. It worked out pretty well as I just worked part-time at night. I'd go to school during the day and be done at 2 or 3. Go home, get changed, grabbed something to eat and then head down to PHL and work my 5:30-11 shift. I usually had a good amount of downtime so I'd just study or do homework if I needed to. The best part about it is I always had Fridays and Saturday off. Getting someone to work my Sunday was always pretty easy as well, especially when they cut overtime.

I go to school full time and work on the ramp for Skywest. I can't think of a better college job. I get almost all my homework done during down time and the work itself is pretty fun most days.
The downside is the schedule. When you're new you pretty much get the schedules that nobody else wants. Due to being able to trade shifts easily it can be very flexible as well though. After a year and a half at Skywest I have pretty good seniority and like my schedule a lot.

I'll second the go for signature motion. Also if you have wheels check out Jet and Signature at Bedford too.

Ditto for KBED. Check out the FBOs/flight schools there. I've been going to college full-time and working part-time at one of the FBOs there for the past 2 years. No complaints at all!

Back