Workers attack Air France managers, forcing them to flee

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Somehow, I don't think "The Moak Group" would call this "proactive engagement", eh @Seggy?

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 0849.00.png

PARIS

Union activists protesting nearly 3,000 proposed layoffs at Air France stormed the headquarters during a meeting Monday, zeroing in on two managers who had their shirts torn from their bodies, scaled a fence and fled under police protection.

An Associated Press photographer saw about a hundred activists rush the building after breaking through a gate. Shortly afterward two high-level managers fled, one bare-chested and the other with his shirt and suit jacket shredded.

Road access to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was briefly disrupted, and some flights suffered delays.

Although Monday's scuffle was unusually violent, labor relations in France are commonly testy, with unions sometimes even resorting to holding managers hostage — or "boss-napping" — to make a point.

Air France denounced the violence and said it will push ahead anyway with its restructuring plans, after failing to reach an agreement with pilots.

Alexandre de Juniac, the CEO of Air France-KLM, said the company is being squeezed by low-cost airlines in Europe and Gulf carriers for long-haul flights. Monday's meeting was intended to detail the cuts.

Airline executives told reporters Monday the plan involves laying off 2,900 staff, abolishing five routes and 35 weekly long-haul flights, primarily in Asia and the Middle East.

Among those at Monday's protest was Yves Porte, an activist who represents cargo workers.

"The Gulf companies, who have low fuel prices and who receive government subsidies, compete with us. It's impossible, we are not on a level playing field," he said.

Air France said it would file a complaint for aggravated assault.

France's transport secretary, Alain Vidalies, condemned the violence, saying in a tweet it was "unacceptable and must be punished."

Deputy human resources director Xavier Broseta, one of the executives disrobed by protesters, told reporters later that he had received messages of sympathy from colleagues throughout the day, including from union leaders.

"We are fighting every day for an Air France that will have lasting growth," he said later, after donning a new jacket and tie. "Violence and intimidation will have no part of that."

491402242.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg
491402324.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/world/article37770981.html#storylink=cpy

I can think of a few US airline CEOs in recent history that were deserving of such treatment.

Rumors has it that good old Leo Mullin got the "What For" from a ramper up in Boston right after he resigned.

I'm not sure if anyone was able to confirm that.

Well, I know it'll be an unpopular statement as we've seen in the past, but US carriers are under the same mounting pressure from the state-sponsored MEC's.

Well, I know it'll be an unpopular statement as we've seen in the past, but US carriers are under the same mounting pressure from the state-sponsored MEC's.

YEP! Comment of the week!

It baffles me on how folks don't see that...

Never forget, this happened in Paris.
As the [on fire] train limped past the next station, Couronnes, its stationmaster was justifiably alarmed at the obvious signs of fire. By the time train 48 arrived there with its triple load of passengers, eddying smoke was visible in the tunnel ahead. Rather than pulling forward to the station exit as usual, the driver stopped his short train halfway along the platform to confer with the stationmaster.

With the danger finally understood, the decision was made to evacuate to the street — but by now the passengers, some of them having already been ejected from two trains, were becoming uncooperative. A fare refund was demanded, a lively altercation ensued, and then suddenly it was too late.

Never forget, this happened in Paris.
So did this

fall-of-the-bastille.jpg

I don't get it.
Is that posted to denote some sort of causality based on "Frenchness", or am I missing something?
I think he meant it as a reminder that the French tend to actually do something about their overlords getting out of hand. Usually with spectacular violence. Much unlike their American cousins.

So did this

fall-of-the-bastille.jpg

I think he meant it as a reminder that the French tend to actually do something about their overlords getting out of hand. Usually with spectacular violence. Much unlike their American cousins.
Well, maybe because we are better, more civilized, more morally righteous here in our far away, manifest-destiny island. Then again...
Maybe we were just better cowed.
Maybe it's just that American management has always had really effective paid protection in the form of Congress, Judges, Dons, and really effective paid thugs in the form of Cops, National Guard, Spec-Ops, Pinkertons, Baldwin-Felts, Thiel, Blackwater (nee Xi, nee Academi), Aegis, Triple Canopy, etc., etc. etc. "This one guy I know really well" who was a Navy ground pounder was once tasked to fight a "war on drugs", but was really charged with guarding Chevron pipelines.
See:
Matewan
Homestead Strike
McKee's Rock Strike
Battle of Cripple Creek
Triangle Shirtwaist Fire
ATC Strike

All save ATC ended in mass slaughter. But ATC never got to start. If you need more examples, I'm happy to supply.

Well, maybe because we are better, more civilized, more morally righteous here in our far away, manifest-destiny island. Then again...
Maybe we were just better cowed.
Maybe it's just that American management has always had really effective paid protection in the form of Congress, Judges, Dons, and really effective paid thugs in the form of Cops, National Guard, Spec-Ops, Pinkertons, Baldwin-Felts, Thiel, Blackwater (nee Xi, nee Academi), Aegis, Triple Canopy, etc., etc. etc. "This one guy I know really well" who was a Navy ground pounder was once tasked to fight a "war on drugs", but was really charged with guarding Chevron pipelines.
See:
Matewan
Homestead Strike
McKee's Rock Strike
Battle of Cripple Creek
Triangle Shirtwaist Fire
ATC Strike

All save ATC ended in mass slaughter. But ATC never got to start. If you need more examples, I'm happy to supply.
Ya, I'm more inclined to think it's the latter. Although, I much prefer the outcome of our revolution to theirs.

Ya, I'm more inclined to think it's the latter. Although, I much prefer the outcome of our revolution to theirs.
I'm not defending the French. Ok, maybe I am, a little. But I think the American knee-jerk aversion to all things French is informed by ignorance and misinformation. I've spent a fair amount of time in France. Yes, their language is quite effete and deserving of humorous mockery (but only by British comedians who also mock the Brits). But overall, France is a wonderful place, full of wonderful people, with a culture that seems to internalize and live what I consider to be an extremely excellent understaning of the elements that comprise a good life.

I'm not defending the French. Ok, maybe I am, a little. But I think the American knee-jerk aversion to all things French is informed by ignorance and misinformation. I've spent a fair amount of time in France. Yes, their language is quite effete and deserving of humorous mockery (but only by British comedians who also mock the Brits). But overall, France is a wonderful place, full of wonderful people, with a culture that seems to internalize and live what I consider to be an extremely excellent understanding of the elements that comprise a good life.
The two countries used to be quite close. During the beginning of the French revolution they'd go down the streets of Philadelphia playing French revolutionary songs as we were very supportive before it turned super bloody. All the while it wouldn't be too uncommon to hear Yankee Doodle in Versailles.

Back