Worker was killed after crashing a truck into a private jet (???)

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
What am I missing here?

MILLBRAE, Calif. — A worker was killed after crashing a truck into a private jet at the San Francisco International Airport early Saturday morning.
The incident occurred at 5 a.m. Saturday as man driving a cafeteria truck drove into a jet that was parked on a service road, according to police.
The jet shirred off the top the top of truck, decapitating the driver, police said.
The cause of the crash is currently being investigated.

http://kathrynaviationnews.com/?p=87236

I'm not surprised in the least. They don't look both ways when crossing a taxi-way in SFO, why would they look for parked planes? I have seriously had to slam on my brakes several times in SFO because of vehicles not looking and crossing in front of me.

Maybe it's a little premature for a little "gallows" humor, but look at PrimeFlight's terrible website! What... the...

Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 12.55.04 PM.png

Wow Rest in Peace...

We had a van nearly take a wing off a Mesa CRJ at MKE in 2000-2001. Everybody was like "...how could you not see that?" but then again the amount of people that drive with their lights off...

At an airport there are a lot of similarly shaped things of wildly different sizes at eye level, some are moving and some aren't, and it's often hard to tell whether they are near to you or far from you. I can think of one instance where, in a fuel truck, there was something a lot closer than I thought it was but I caught the visual illusion.

That and the swing shift followed by the morning shift.... ugh.

I had heard nothing about this at SFO yesterday. Wow. Honestly, I knew it was a matter of time, those things have driven around my wingwalkers more times than I can count. Plus driving on the SFO ramp is akin to downtown Mumbai, everyone just does their own thing and tries not to hit anyone. Airport Ops has given up on citations because everyone drives like a maniac.

I remember in '97, a Ryan International 727 at Denver had a shuttle bus drive into the cockpit of it while it was taxiing in the early a.m hours when the bus failed to stop at the taxiway crossing. The Capt suffered serious injuries when he was trapped by the instrument panel and center console being crushed into his lap, breaking both legs and a knee. The cockpit was sufficiently destroyed that the ground could be seen through the floor. The crew was lucky that despite the damage, the FO and FE could still stop the jet, and shut it down. Aircraft was a complete writeoff.

A common attitude on the ramp is the idea that airplanes are so big, you could never hit one accidentally. Yet if one were to check the NTSB database for how many planes have been written off or severely damaged in equipment accidents, they may be shocked at the volume of said events.

A common attitude on the ramp is the idea that airplanes are so big, you could never hit one accidentally. Yet if one were to check the NTSB database for how many planes have been written off or severely damaged in equipment accidents, they may be shocked at the volume of said events.

Did "someone" take the ramp job?

Back