Work study Visas for flight students going away

BillErvin

Peddling as fast as I can
OH Boy!! This is going to be a problem for some of the schools that use international students as instructors!!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]WORK-STUDY VISAS FOR FLIGHT STUDENTS SET TO END
The U.S. Department of State has issued a statement of policy announcing its intent to end a program that allows foreign flight students to work while they study in the United States. The J-1 visa program, which is slated to end in June 2010, offers foreign students a two-year visa to go through flight training and work as flight instructors to build flying time. Other training options will still exist, such as the F-1 student and M-1 vocational student visa, although neither allows the student to work. Read more on AOPA Online.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Not sure how much is actually going to change. I know when I was instructing in TX, you really couldn't do the flight training then work as an instructor thing. Most of the int'l students are here to get their rating and go home to fly an Airbus anyway. They won't stick around and instruct.

I know a lot of flight schools will only train you on an M-1 visa anyway, which won't let you work as a CFI. You'd have to leave the country and come back in on a different visa. I don't think this is going to change things much at all.

Does this mean that all J-1 Visas expire in June 2010 or that they will stop issuing them starting June 2010?

My flight school has a large portion of their flight instructors that are on the J-1 Visa. Should be interesting.

Does this mean that all J-1 Visas expire in June 2010 or that they will stop issuing them starting June 2010?

My flight school has a large portion of their flight instructors that are on the J-1 Visa. Should be interesting.

It will take a while to wind down, when I worked for the old Border Patrol/INS we were always wondering what the folks at dept of state would do. :panic:

They may end it this year and the current issues would expire in 2010 but more than likely state will stretch it out as long as they can, their the ones that give out the visa's and they seem to like their job:banghead:

And that doesn't account all the griping and moaning the schools will do to their respective senators and congressmen to keep the program alive.

Not sure how much is actually going to change. I know when I was instructing in TX, you really couldn't do the flight training then work as an instructor thing. Most of the int'l students are here to get their rating and go home to fly an Airbus anyway. They won't stick around and instruct.

I know a lot of flight schools will only train you on an M-1 visa anyway, which won't let you work as a CFI. You'd have to leave the country and come back in on a different visa. I don't think this is going to change things much at all.

A lot of the schools I looked at in Florida used Foreign students as instructors, and a lot of the Arizona and California schools were as well, especially in the last year or two. Most of the US students were off flying RJs right out of school, but I think thats going to change now!!:panic:

Eh, guess that's what I get for paying attention to schools around where I instructed....Texas. Either way, I think the job market will correct itself. As fewer people get into aviation due to the costs, there will more than likely be fewer CFI jobs anyway.

Most of the CFI jobs in the future will probably be teaching foreign students that will go back to their home countries after they get their ratings.

Back