Women in Aviation

Red_Baron

It seems to me that the aviation field is mostly made up of men. What are the goals and dreams of women flyers? Please let me know.....

One of my friends who is on furlough now from UAL is a girl. Really cute too, but forget that.

Her dad flies for UAL as well, and she wasn't sure that she wanted to fly but then she did it and loved it. After instructing and flying corporate, she finally achieved her goal in 2000 and actually got to fly with her dad.

She got furloughed back in March. But at least she's flying corporate part time, although she doesn't like flying corporate. After all, she finally graduated from greeting the passengers, loading their bags, catering the plane, and so on!

Well, I made a suggestion a few months ago that there be a "Women in Aviation" forum.

Anybody else think that would be a good idea?

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I made a suggestion a few months ago that there be a "Women in Aviation" forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, why not. I think it would be cool.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are like, umm, three on the website I think!

Hi Everyone! I've been enjoying this website for awhile although I've never posted. Being a female aviator, I think having a forum just for this would be awesome!

My goals are pretty much the same - just keep learning and keep flying. It seems every flight welcomes a new experience. I never dreamed I'd even make it this far but for some reason....it's addicting.

[ QUOTE ]
There are like, umm, three on the website I think!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it would be nice but I was thinking the same thing, Doug. There aren't enough of us on here, at least regularly, to warrant having our own forum/topic area.

I like to think of myself as just 'one of the guys' anyways. I belong to two womens' aviation organizations, and they are a great way to meet people and have fun, and a great way to network and have a chance at scholarships (was lucky enough to be the recipient of one this year)...but at the same time, I try not to think of myself as different from the 94% of pilots who are NOT female. Therefore I'm not sure why we should have our own "special" area.

I'm not one of those people who get offended if you call me an "airman".
wink.gif

Sarah

Looks like the nays have it.

Oh well. Thought it might be a good idea.

<crawling back underneath my rock>

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the nays have it.

Oh well. Thought it might be a good idea.

<crawling back underneath my rock>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a good idea as well!

WHEW!!
blush.gif

There USED to be more female posters on this site, but for whatever reason, that has seemed to have tapered off.

I won't adopt a "If you build it, they will come" mentality because I saw what happened with the Ari-Ben forum.

Maybe, if more of the lurkers "come out", it'll be more feasable in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the concept is a good one, and I did think about the fact that if it existed we may draw a few people out of 'lurkdom'. If so, great. If not - it may be me, myself and I in there. (give me padded walls and a helmet and I'll be set!)

Perhaps a trial period of sorts? I'd be willing to give it a shot. I just didn't think there would be the support to really make it a productive forum, in which case I'm perfectly happy with things the way they are.

Sarah

Actually, my current CFII is a female and probably about half of the instructors at the FBO we "work" out of are female. I was actualy surprised at the ratio. I think it's great.

I really don't see the need for women to have a seperate forum, unless it deals with issues that men don't deal with.
I'm no chauvinist, but I get tired of women wanting to hang with "the boys" but always say we gotta have this seperate and these special accomodations.
See, I'm a brotha that will say what others are afraid to say. I won't come with censored ideas LOL.
My instructor happens to be a female pilot just in case you think I don't like female pilots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no chauvinist, but I get tired of women wanting to hang with "the boys" but always say we gotta have this seperate and these special accomodations.

[/ QUOTE ]
A small correction, if I may....

..the primary female who responded to this thread said:

[ QUOTE ]
There aren't enough of us on here, at least regularly, to warrant having our own forum/topic area.

I like to think of myself as just 'one of the guys' anyways. I belong to two womens' aviation organizations, and they are a great way to meet people and have fun, and a great way to network and have a chance at scholarships (was lucky enough to be the recipient of one this year)...but at the same time, I try not to think of myself as different from the 94% of pilots who are NOT female. Therefore I'm not sure why we should have our own "special" area.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was I who suggested the forum.... not a female.

K? We cool?

R2F

Back