Withdrawing Deferred Medical Application?

future pilot

I have been attempting to obtain my 1st class for about 6 months now. The FAA is requesting I undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine my eligibility. Unfortunately, my wife and I have come into a tough time financially due to the pandemic and I just cannot afford to pay for a psychiatric evaluation at this time. I currently have a few weeks to get the requested documentation to the FAA and that is just not going to happen. Is there any possible way to withdraw my application and try again at a later date? I would really hate to loose out on my dream because of something that is completely out of my control.

Once you are in the process - after the doc accesses your MedXpress application - you are pretty much dealing with a choice between issuance and denial. Once deferred, if you fulfill the requests, there is an issuance. If you don't, there is a denial. Basically, there is no "withdraw" in the sense of "treat me as though I never applied."

The good news is that denial does not prevent reapplication at a later date. I don't have the details of your situation so can't really give advice but, generally speaking, it's better to write back explaining why you are unable to meet their requirements right now than to ignore the request for information. There at least be a record of your reasons for the next time around.

Once you are in the process - after the doc accesses your MedXpress application - you are pretty much dealing with a choice between issuance and denial. Once deferred, if you fulfill the requests, there is an issuance. If you don't, there is a denial. Basically, there is no "withdraw" in the sense of "treat me as though I never applied."

The good news is that denial does not prevent reapplication at a later date. I don't have the details of your situation so can't really give advice but, generally speaking, it's better to write back explaining why you are unable to meet their requirements right now than to ignore the request for information. There at least be a record of your reasons for the next time around.
I did not know this. I figured once a denial was issued that was the end of the road. I spoke with the FAA and found out they will give me an extension. I am going to do everything in my power to meet the requirements this go round so I can avoid a denial if at all possible. If it doesn't work out, it is good to know I can re-apply.

I did not know this. I figured once a denial was issued that was the end of the road. I spoke with the FAA and found out they will give me an extension. I am going to do everything in my power to meet the requirements this go round so I can avoid a denial if at all possible. If it doesn't work out, it is good to know I can re-apply.
If you can work out extensions and satisfy them now, that's always the best way. Even though you can apply again, "what's different now?" is the question which will need to be answered. With COVID, they may well be a little more tolerant of delays. Be sure all correspondence with them is in writing. Use tracking with postal mail outbound. Folks in the know indicate that using email with scanned information in addition to postal mail is a good idea. Part of the reason is that may FAA offices are quarantining inbound physical mail.

But really, if this is important to you, get professional assistance. Not legal, medical. Someone like Bruce Chien at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ - a senior HIMS AME to act as a consultant. Once raised, psychiatric questions can be difficult to satisfy and an experienced AME who know exactly what is needed to satisfy the FAA is the way to go.

If you can work out extensions and satisfy them now, that's always the best way. Even though you can apply again, "what's different now?" is the question which will need to be answered. With COVID, they may well be a little more tolerant of delays. Be sure all correspondence with them is in writing. Use tracking with postal mail outbound. Folks in the know indicate that using email with scanned information in addition to postal mail is a good idea. Part of the reason is that may FAA offices are quarantining inbound physical mail.

But really, if this is important to you, get professional assistance. Not legal, medical. Someone like Bruce Chien at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ - a senior HIMS AME to act as a consultant. Once raised, psychiatric questions can be difficult to satisfy and an experienced AME who know exactly what is needed to satisfy the FAA is the way to go.
Thank you for the advice. I have heard about Dr Chien, however never really thought my situation was serious enough to warrant a consultation. As you said, psychiatric questions can be difficult to satisfy so I don't want to take any chances. Heres to hoping he can help get this resolved!

Mark has given you sound advice. Even if you are denied you can apply down the road but the FAA will have a record of why the original application was denied and will ask for the eval again before moving forward. Unfortunately in my practice I am seeing more and more airmen being deferred because they are unaware of the SSRI pathway when they arrive for their first medical. Either they have heard that SSRI's are allowed and look no further or they do not research the subject in advance. Similarly I am seeing a bump in applicants on anxiety meds or ADHD treatment. There is a robust conversation about mental health going on at the moment in another thread here.

Dr F

Mark has given you sound advice. Even if you are denied you can apply down the road but the FAA will have a record of why the original application was denied and will ask for the eval again before moving forward. Unfortunately in my practice I am seeing more and more airmen being deferred because they are unaware of the SSRI pathway when they arrive for their first medical. Either they have heard that SSRI's are allowed and look no further or they do not research the subject in advance. Similarly I am seeing a bump in applicants on anxiety meds or ADHD treatment. There is a robust conversation about mental health going on at the moment in another thread here.

Dr F
Thank you for your response! I am going to do everything I can to satisfy the FAA's requests this go-round. Just to be sure I am reading this correctly... if I were to complete the psychiatric evaluation, but not in the timeline set by the FAA, I would need to be evaluated again? Also not sure if it will help my case or not but I have never been on any kind of medication.

Your best bet once you have had the eval is to send it to the FAA and follow up with a phone call to the regional flight surgeon to discuss your next move. Even better would be to have an advocate like Dr. Chien making contact with the system for you.

Dr F

This may be a long shot, but has anyone dealt with Dr. Chien recently? I reached out on 12/4 and have yet to hear back. I'm wondering if he is still taking on new pilots.

Back