winter in dc

I was going to say something in defense of ASU before R2F beat me to the punch ... its name comes from its location in Boone, NC, in the heart of the Appalachian mountains. It is a good school with an excellent reputation, as R2F pointed out. I've known a couple people who have gone there, and they're all bright folks.

We've had plenty of snow and freezing rain here in NC. My cul-de-sac looks like center ice at the RBC Center. Supposedly it will warm up enough that all the ice will melt off the road (and my house and my car) today and tomorrow. Good thing I haven't had any trips!!

FL270

I couldve used some deicing equipment on my car this morning.....dressed for work and i end up sweating trying to get my car cleaned off.

Cleatus and Zeke, Skeeter hell even Bubba are just names doesn't mean that all people with these names have a sloped forehead and are slack jawed yokels.

Or kill lost teenagers in the summer of 77 in the backwoods of Texas for bodyparts with chainsaws.
smirk.gif

Matthew

check out this METAR:
KBWI 272141Z COR 05007KT 1 1/4SM R10/6000VP6000FT -FZRAPL BR
OVC003 M02/M02 A2968 RMK AO2 FZDZE25FZRAB25E33B40PLB33
P0002=

Love that remark!

I just got into Wilmington, DE and the 95 was a frickin mess. You people can turn off your flashers now! And pull over to the side of the road while your at it--no reason to drive in the dead center so no on can get by. Did blessed little work today and it looks like I'll get out of all of my appointments tomorrow again, and then fly home. Just hope my flight is on time...I'm starting to feel guilty about how much work I'm not getting done.

P0002=

Ok... so R10 is vertical visibility 6000ft, greater than 6000ft horiz?

and what is FZRAPL? Freezing rain possible?

Freezing drizzle ended 25 after the hour, freezing rain began 25 after, ended 33 after, began 40 after, PLB33??? what is PLB33??

geez, 2 weeks from my IR checkride and I should know this stuff...

[ QUOTE ]
P0002=

Ok... so R10 is vertical visibility 6000ft, greater than 6000ft horiz?

and what is FZRAPL? Freezing rain possible?

Freezing drizzle ended 25 after the hour, freezing rain began 25 after, ended 33 after, began 40 after, PLB33??? what is PLB33??

geez, 2 weeks from my IR checkride and I should know this stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

- Runway 10 RVR is 6000 or greater.
- Light Freezing Rain and Pellets
- Freezing drizzle, etc., you were correct, PLB33 = Pellets began 33 after the hour.

Here's a shot from the de-icing queue as we're waiting for a 737-200 to finish up:

(During the big snow/ice storm in CVG a few days ago)

737deice.jpg

Oh yum, Type-IV deicing fluid!

fluid.jpg

Good question!

We usually do a two-step process whenever we de-ice.

Except for one dork in front of us that didn't pick up any ice enroute, then neglected to de-ice before depature and stopped on the taxiway, had operations come out and do a tactile inspection of his aircraft on an active taxiway.

Meanwhile, dorkboy ate into about 15 jets 'holdover' time because he was cool cool to deice. We had about a 20 minute holdover time and captain genius costed a bunch of us about 12 minutes.

I'm not going to say the airline because that'd probably get me at least 10 whiney emails about how I'm picking on them.

well it wasn't me... my piper takes... "coffee type" deicing fluid. That is, I'm sitting inside with a cup of coffee while the plane gets snowed on...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Appalachian State University

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very tempting target.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The names Cleatus and Zeke come to mind when I hear Appalachian State University.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you were up here? Obviously by that statement you've never been here. Boone is actually not a red neck town like you might think. In fact, Appalachian is one of the best schools in NC. Sure its not as prestigous as UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State. I've only been here a few weeks and am very happy so far.
And like a couple of other people stated, the name of the University is named after the Appalachian mountains, which I may remind you is not just part of the south, it runs all the way through the northeast into Canada.
The mountains of North Carolina actually have alot of culture, I suggest you take a visit here before making comments like the ones you made.
After all you wouldn't be too thrilled if I said when I hear Cincinnati I think of Jerry Springer, would you?

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to say something in defense of ASU before R2F beat me to the punch ... its name comes from its location in Boone, NC, in the heart of the Appalachian mountains. It is a good school with an excellent reputation, as R2F pointed out. I've known a couple people who have gone there, and they're all bright folks.

We've had plenty of snow and freezing rain here in NC. My cul-de-sac looks like center ice at the RBC Center. Supposedly it will warm up enough that all the ice will melt off the road (and my house and my car) today and tomorrow. Good thing I haven't had any trips!!

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ,and if you are ever up here in ski country e-mail me !
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to offend, but the
grin.gif
means humor

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks
smile.gif
, one of my pet peeves is when people say stuff about an area that they haven't been to. I kick myself when I do the same thing.
I guess i'm really starting to show my ASU spirit by defending my school....LOL! Hopefully i'll be that way about my airline when i'm a pilot
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The names Cleatus and Zeke come to mind when I hear Appalachian State University.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey - don't knock something you know nothing about, bro.

ASU has one of the finest math, science and medicine departments in the Southeast.

I could cast a few stones based on your photo, but I won't because I don't know a thing about you - and that would be wrong, wouldn't it?

[/rant]
[second rant]
Kind of crawls under my skin when folks tag ignorant labels on things base on its geographical region.

Sometimes, I think it's funny. This time I didn't.
[/second rant]

Carry on.
R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that, I also have the same pet peeve.

Adam
cool.gif

Back