Wing D-1 Derringer

1650204638481.png

1650204662854.png

I saw one pop-up on TAP a few weeks ago. My wife had to talk me out of buying it.
Glassair III speeds, twin Comanche redundancy, Baron price.

Yep, 12 according to Wikipedia.

There is or was one sitting in a dirt lot outside the National Test Pilot School in MHV, so that leaves 11 that could possibly be flying.

Looks ideal for a flight school trainer

Ugh. Way too cool for that.

I second @Adler. That’s like saying the B-25 in your profile picture would be a good flight school airplane. ;) Maybe we could develop a follow on and sell it to flight schools, but keep your flight school cycles and abuse away from our cherished rare unique historical aircraft. Every one of these things should be celebrated and kept flying as long as possible or preserved in a museum.

The Wing Derringer was designed by John Thorp, the same guy who designed the Thorp T-18 kit plane and who developed and held the patent for the all-flying horizontal stabilizer which would go on to be used on the Piper Cherokee. He’s a really important figure in the history of GA and homebuilt aircraft and deserves the recognition.

In conclusion:

1650294684912.jpeg

There is or was one sitting in a dirt lot outside the National Test Pilot School in MHV, so that leaves 11 that could possibly be flying.

I second @Adler. That’s like saying the B-25 in your profile picture would be a good flight school airplane. ;) Maybe we could develop a follow on and sell it to flight schools, but keep your flight school cycles and abuse away from our cherished rare unique historical aircraft. Every one of these things should be celebrated and kept flying as long as possible or preserved in a museum.

The Wing Derringer was designed by John Thorp, the same guy who designed the Thorp T-18 kit plane and who developed and held the patent for the all-flying horizontal stabilizer which would go on to be used on the Piper Cherokee. He’s a really important figure in the history of GA and homebuilt aircraft and deserves the recognition.

In conclusion:

View attachment 64387
I did my MEI in a C-310 so get your gist

In conclusion:

View attachment 64387

Normally I agree with you, but no airplane belongs in a museum. They belong flying.

Normally I agree with you, but no airplane belongs in a museum. They belong flying.

Knowing what it takes and costs to rebuild something around the data plate I only mention the museum option as a worst case scenario. :) See my caveat before the Dr. Jones meme.

Back