Will the FAA Hire an Unrated Military controller?

AirForceControl

Im currently in the Air force, I grduated fromATC tech school with a 93% and got a 92% on the FAA CTO test. I got to my first base and they found out i have a personal medical problem that disqualifies me from the Air Force not ATC. This medical problem will not disqualify me from civilian ATC. But i am not rated i didnt get to get any ratings at my base before i got medically kicked out. i should be fully out within a year

my question is would the FAA hire someone who

Passed Atc tech school
Passed the CTO test with a 92%
Holds a ATC pink card, but without any ratings on it
and has a community college of the Air force Associates degree in airway science
Is medically washed out of the Air force before getting rated with a "Honorable" medical discharge?

if not how long would i have to go to school for that cti program thing

Im currently in the Air force, I grduated fromATC tech school with a 93% and got a 92% on the FAA CTO test. I got to my first base and they found out i have a personal medical problem that disqualifies me from the Air Force not ATC. This medical problem will not disqualify me from civilian ATC. But i am not rated i didnt get to get any ratings at my base before i got medically kicked out. i should be fully out within a year

my question is would the FAA hire someone who

Passed Atc tech school
Passed the CTO test with a 92%
Holds a ATC pink card, but without any ratings on it
and has a community college of the Air force Associates degree in airway science
Is medically washed out of the Air force before getting rated with a "Honorable" medical discharge?

if not how long would i have to go to school for that cti program thing
You can get hired on a public (pubnat) announcement and you should qualify for veterans preference points, which will move your application ahead in the line. But without 52 weeks & a full CTO you can't apply for the VRA/CTO announcements.

You can get hired on a public (pubnat) announcement and you should qualify for veterans preference points, which will move your application ahead in the line. But without 52 weeks & a full CTO you can't apply for the VRA/CTO announcements.

with my "expierience" and resume i should be at the top of the list for this type of hire huh?

Oh please, they won't look at anything else? I think someone who already passed the ATC course and has a bit more experience than someone just off the street would have a bit of a head start. That's a silly comment.

Oh please, they won't look at anything else? I think someone who already passed the ATC course and has a bit more experience than someone just off the street would have a bit of a head start. That's a silly comment.
That is what you would like to think, but it doesn't happen that way. They only rank people in public announcements by their AT-SAT score. They don't seem to rank you any other way.
There are people who graduated CTI, sitting in the basics class because they got hired OTS, and not through the CTI application. You would like to think that they would get automatically bumped out of basics but they don't.

yeah, thanks for that useless insight. But the truth is you're dead wrong. They don't look at anything like that. Take your assumptions somewhere else.

I had 4 prior CTO's, VRA and had some critically staffed states listed as preferences and it took 2 years to get a TOL...

I went through ATC school in the Air Force. I was a Combat Controller so I did not have any ratings. I applied under the general announcements. My ATC background definately helped me get hired. I scored a 74% on that ATSAT test. So without the ATC background I most likely wouldnt be in OKC today.

I went through ATC school in the Air Force. I was a Combat Controller so I did not have any ratings. I applied under the general announcements. My ATC background definately helped me get hired. I scored a 74% on that ATSAT test. So without the ATC background I most likely wouldnt be in OKC today.

Back then, 74% was enough to get you hired. Now, your app wouldn't even get looked at, regardless of your ATC background -- because they're not bothering with the Qualifieds, just the Well Qualifieds.

With that said, there's no saying that, in going through the pile of WQ's, a district manager won't take the time to look glance over an app and notice past ATC experience. There's no saying he or she will, either.

Back