Will minor asthma keep me from getting my first class medical / getting an airlin job in the future?

Cris

flying bus driver
I have to admit, I have spent to much time on yahoo answers with my questions and something tells me I am listening to the wrong people and the wrong things.

I am a 16 year old student working on my PPL at my local FOB. I am confident, and have been for several years, that I want to fly for a living when I am an adult. I am around the age where I need to start considering where to go to college and what to major in - and I would to do something involved with flying.

Rather than this being a post about college, I need to make sure that getting my medical now, and in the future won't be a "long shot" as they say on Yahoo Answers. But let me tell you my story...

I was diagnosed with minor asthma when I was 9 years old. My parents assumed I had it when I went to a friends house who had a dog, and came home with a bit of a wheeze. My asthma really has only been triggered by dogs and cats, and somewhat of physical exercise. I have never had a legitament asthma attack, only a period of minor wheezing. I never have been hospitalized either.

Anyways, again, I am 16 now and it is obvious that my Asthma is beginning to become nearly nonexistent. I have been pretty lousy about taking it, but I have had Flovent for the past four years and I think that might have some significance. But my doctor is indicating to me that I might not need Flovent at all, and that I am just growing out of it.

Anyways - will this be a problem when I try to get a first class medical next summer? I plan on having my doctor write a letter stating the nature of my conditions, so that I can have the AME be confident with what I say. What if my asthma doesn't go away, but I continue to keep it under control with Flovent if needed?

The big shots on yahoo answers say that I have no shot and that I should give up - but I feel that there must be some way around this?

Also, I took a peak flow today and it read 535 L/min. I looked it up and it appears normal for a 16 year old that is 5'8 tall.

Also have post nasal drip, but this isn't a problem form what I have read.

Thanks for you help, guys.

Would it be special insurance? Does having a waiver labeled special insurance mean that it will be harder to get a job with airlines? Thanks for the link too.

Never mind. So is it correct that if I meet the standards listed below in the document - I can get a non SI medical? Flovent appears to be an approved medication so I assume that won't be a problem taking it twice a day? Additionally could you explain the Spirometry report - and what the tests actually mean? Do you think it is normal, if my asthma is well controlled, to have a good report that will qualify for a standard medical?

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org.../offices/aam/ame/guide/media/C-CACIAsthma.pdf

Thanks again.

"The big shots on yahoo answers say that I have no shot and that I should give up"

I've never even heard of yahoo answers but I wouldn't go to a place like that for advice on aviation careers. It's good you found this place.

I can't answer your question but many pilots have special issuances/waivers. I had a waiver for vision from when I was your age to when I got a major job and it was never a big deal. Back in the 80's, a few majors were pretty strict but others were not. I was happy pursing "the others". Then, I think there were some lawsuits and some of the airlines relax their medical standards a bit. Where I got hired all it said was "hold the medical certificate necessary to do the job". That's a paraphrase, but you get the idea.

I've had a prescription for a rescue inhaler and a 1st class medical for the past 7 years. The AME hasn't asked me for anything special yet. I have both asthma and allergies checked every year on my application, report the prescription, and just put down "previously reported, no change." I've seen several different AMEs and it's all been about the same experience. We chat for a few minutes about how things have been with regards to use of the inhaler and move on. I use mine 2-3 times a year, tops, though, so that could be why it's so easy. Compared to all the other hassles the FAA can put a pilot through, this is pretty minor. For a couple years when I had lousy health insurance and my medical was the only physical I got, I even got my Ventolin prescription from the AME.

I take advare 250/50 and Flonase for allergies and asthma, hold a special issuance first class medical, and I'm employed at an airline. Dogs and cats are two of my only triggers left, and I've had few problems beyond paperwork.

That is GOOD to hear guys. Thank you, will take all advice - sticking with this forum for now on!

Back