Will it be hard

aviator03

How hard will it be to find a job if I do all my training through an FBO, then finish my degree online? I'm looking at going into large charter or small corporate flying.

Is it possable to get there without a lot of problems so to speak?

Also, I was looking at doing my Instrument training in the 10 day programs like American flyers offer. Is this a smart way to go? My time is very limited. After completeing the program fly as much IFR as I possably can to learn more and keep the ticket freash. Then go to my commercial or multi.

What is the best way to go about it the FBO route as far as what ratings first? Is it important to get as much complex time in my training as I can get? Start my multi training as soon as I can? This way I can get multi PIC while I'm gaining time for commercial.

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

The ease or difficulty with which one finds a pilot job is dependent on many things, some of them you can control, some of them you can't.

If you're looking for charter / corporate then networking is going to be your best way to make it easier. Find and interact with as many corporate / charter pilots on your field that you can. Pretty much the ONLY way to get a corporate or charter job is going to be by knowing the right person and being in the right place at the right time.

Obviously Private has to come first. I would add on instrument rating right after that. Whether you do commercial or multi next is going to be unique to your situation. Since you'll be paying for the great majority of your flying until commercial, I suspect you'll be renting the cheapest thing that can get off the ground.

All I can say is that for most pilot jobs out there, multi-time is going to be the gold nugget that you're after. Complex time helps make the transition to multi a little easier for you, but it doesn't mean a whole lot by itself.

I would say that if you goal is to work for charter / corporate, then flying at an FBO would actually be the best place for you to do your training as it will put you in contact with some of the local operators / potential future employers. I don't see any problem with you finishing your degree online, so long as you have the discipline to do it.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone runs into problems somewhere along the way.

===
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was looking at doing my Instrument training in the 10 day programs like American flyers offer. Is this a smart way to go? My time is very limited. After completeing the program fly as much IFR as I possably can to learn more and keep the ticket freash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you'll be able to fly IFR as much as you can after getting your rating if your time is limited. If you have the time, spend it on training to really learn IFR procedures, the foundation of professional flying.

===
[ QUOTE ]
Start my multi training as soon as I can?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how much $$$ you have and how fast you want to be done. If the answer is alot and as fast as possible, do the multi first.

===
[ QUOTE ]
This way I can get multi PIC while I'm gaining time for commercial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure can, but remember that you'll be a 150ish hour pilot in a multi engine airplane 'armed' with a 10 day instrument rating trying to get 'as much IFR as possible' while building XC hours for your commercial at $150+ per hour.

===
[ QUOTE ]
What are your opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got the $$$ and drive, go for it the way you described. But understand that you WILL encounter things that will hold you back along the way.

[ QUOTE ]

How hard will it be to find a job if I do all my training through an FBO, then finish my degree online? I'm looking at going into large charter or small corporate flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends largely upon you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. But it depends on what you define as a "problem".

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was looking at doing my Instrument training in the 10 day programs like American flyers offer. Is this a smart way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno!

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best way to go about it the FBO route as far as what ratings first?

[/ QUOTE ]

It really all depends. Traditionally it's private -> instrument -> commercial -> multi, but there are a variety of ways, methods and philosophies on what should come first. I did private -> multi -> instrument -> commercial, but that was part of my syllabus at ERAU.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it important to get as much complex time in my training as I can get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very.

[ QUOTE ]
Start my multi training as soon as I can?

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi-engine training is going to get about 10 to 15 hours so it really doesn't matter when you do it, in my personal opinion. Obviously,the more multi, the better, but the higher the cost.

Back