Will I get in?

173comhome

Hi, currently I am a high school junior looking at colleges with aviation programs. The more I hear about Purdue's program the more it appeals to me. I have a GPA of just under 3.5 and an ACT score of 28 which is around a 1250 on the SAT. I am also active in my community with volunteer work, theater and getting my PPL, and I had a few questions for those of you who have gone there.

• What are my chances of getting in?
  • Currently I am considering dual majoring in commercial aviation and poli sci is this a good idea?
  • How much flight time does a student usually get?
  • And lastly, what questions should I ask during the interview when i visit?

If you are interested in poly sci, just major in that and fly on the side at the local FBO. The aviation degree is completely useless and I have not spoken to one person that graduated with an aviation degre from ANY college flight program that, looking back, thought they made the right decision in majoring in aviation.

Ask yourself this...what if you lose your medical and can no longer fly. What are you going to fall back on? Better to have a non-flying degree as a fallback.

If you are interested in poly sci, just major in that and fly on the side at the local FBO. The aviation degree is completely useless and I have not spoken to one person that graduated with an aviation degre from ANY college flight program that, looking back, thought they made the right decision in majoring in aviation.

Ask yourself this...what if you lose your medical and can no longer fly. What are you going to fall back on? Better to have a non-flying degree as a fallback.
I completely disagree.

I have spoken with numerous pilots with aviation degrees, that are extremely happy they did what they did. ESPECIALLY those pilots that went to Purdue. Purdue is definitely an awesome place for not only aviation, but for college life. I am planning to attend Purdue, fyi. ;)

Not to mention, do what interests you, even if it is aviation.

Your major will definitely become obsolete after a few years. ("Back-up" degree's are overrated) ;)

• Currently I am considering dual majoring in commercial aviation and poli sci is this a good idea?

1. Good
2. Yes. I am majoring in professional flight and economics. It is doable. Just go to http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academics/programs/majors/pol/ and figure out what classes you will need to take for a double major/minor.
3. Depends on if you instruct or not. Some of my friends that are seniors have 800+ hours, others only around 300. I'd recommend instructing, especially at Purdue. The aircraft are really nice :) and we are getting new planes soon...
4. Ask about scholarships, ask about the minor/double major, anything else you can PM me.

Hope this helps.

Risks come with every college major. Engineers have the same potential to get laid off as pilots do. The medical isn't that hard to pass as long as you dont get epilepsy or something.

I say get whatever degree will motivate you to work hard. If pro flight happens to be that, you will end up being one of the best educated pilots, so dont be afraid to pursue that.

1. Good
2. Yes. I am majoring in professional flight and economics. It is doable. Just go to http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academics/programs/majors/pol/ and figure out what classes you will need to take for a double major/minor.
3. Depends on if you instruct or not. Some of my friends that are seniors have 800+ hours, others only around 300. I'd recommend instructing, especially at Purdue. The aircraft are really nice :) and we are getting new planes soon...
4. Ask about scholarships, ask about the minor/double major, anything else you can PM me.

Hope this helps.

I will have to disagree with #3. Do not instruct at Purdue. Do you have any idea how much they pay per hour? $7/hr YES SEVEN DOLLARS AN HOUR! "The aircraft are really nice" should never be reason alone to want to instruct / work / fly for anyone. It is the beginning of SJS. Work for a flight school that pays decently and doesn't force you to sign students off against your better judgement.

Purdue is a great place to go to school, but don't let the glossy flight brochure fool you. You will have just as good a shot of getting a pilot job after graduation if you major in flight or if you major in something else.

I completely disagree.

I have spoken with numerous pilots with aviation degrees, that are extremely happy they did what they did. ESPECIALLY those pilots that went to Purdue. Purdue is definitely an awesome place for not only aviation, but for college life. I am planning to attend Purdue, fyi. ;)

Not to mention, do what interests you, even if it is aviation.

Your major will definitely become obsolete after a few years. ("Back-up" degree's are overrated) ;)

Well from my experience, I can tell you that of every captain I have flown with that had an aviation major NOT ONE was happy they did it and EVERY ONE wishes they majored in something else.

Also, if you are looking to fly for the airlines at any point in your career i would HIGHLY recommend reading the book HARD LANDING or FLYING THE LINE (history of The Airline Pilots Association). I can not overstress this enough. If you don't learn the history of the industry, you are bound to repeat it.

I can back cleared up, I went to Purdue, majored outside of flight and paid out of state tuition while flying at the local FBO. I wound up spending less for the out of state tuition and the FBO flying than an in-state Purdue flight student, and finished in the same amount of time. I have talked to countless pilots who have come through our FBO, ranging from NetJets and FlexJet to current and retired airline and military pilots who majored in flight, and some who majored outside of flight. Those who went through flight programs and wish they'd chosen a different major FAR outnumber those who are happy they made the choice. Don't let Purdue fool you, just ask last semesters, this semesters and probably next semester's graduates where they plan to take their flight degrees after graduation.

Second, don't instruct at Purdue. Try to teach at the FBO when you have the CFI certificates. You will make more (not much more...but more) and will not have to abide by the more stringent rules Purdue places on their students. The decision making has, in my honest opinion, more of an opportunity to flourish at a less regulated FBO. I see this every time a Purdue flight student wants a checkout in our aircraft versus when our students are faced with the decision making process. The aircraft aren't as nice, I'll give that to Purdue but do you honestly think every aircraft you ever fly will be in perfect condition?

Third, and most important, when the time comes...DO NOT GO TO GoJet or MESA!!!!! Ever! Period!

As a recent graduate of a college flight program I can say I don't regret the choice as I feel I got a good education and enjoyed it. At the same time I also wish I had a more versatile major and, looking back, I wish I had considered the possibility of majoring in something not aviation related. Now I'm probably going to get some sort of masters just as a back up but it'd be nice to have a back up without having to go to grad school.

Don't do flight at purdue if you are out of state. It's way too much for what it is. You will regret it if you are the one paying for your college. But if your parents are willing to pay 200k then go right ahead.

Heck, I could get as much as Purdue's flight program could at Indiana State's for less than half the cost. Think conservatively! :)

Hi, currently I am a high school junior looking at colleges with aviation programs. The more I hear about Purdue's program the more it appeals to me. I have a GPA of just under 3.5 and an ACT score of 28 which is around a 1250 on the SAT. I am also active in my community with volunteer work, theater and getting my PPL, and I had a few questions for those of you who have gone there.

A political science degree won't really help you unless you are going to law school. A meteorology degree would supplement a flight program quite well.

There are actually quite a few avenues open with a political science degree other than law school.

How about this idea.....doesn't matter what you majored in....as long as you're working as a flight instructor in the Lafayette area you're being screwed (some more than others)!!! Oh yeah, don't bother to instruct at Purdue. You'll make more in half a week at the FBO than you will an entire semester at the university.

Tell us how you really feel...

I'm kidding of course, I still think we might actually work at the same FBO?

Hmm...can't blame them for going to where the good (if not well paid) instructors are ;)

Either way my paycheck next week is going to be nice since all you guys are gone...Just me and CW. Looks like I'll get to eat some protein for dinner in a couple weeks!!!!

There are actually quite a few avenues open with a political science degree other than law school.

Just as there are quite a few avenues open with an aviation degree... why does everyone think that the only thing you can do with an aviation degree is fly?????

Oh yeah, don't bother to instruct at Purdue. You'll make more in half a week at the FBO than you will an entire semester at the university.

True, but how many instructors does Jeff hire every year? A handful? Yeah Lafayette Aviation is definatley a better instructing job than Purdue but there aren't enough jobs to go around at LAF Aviation.... at least in my years there, everyone that wanted a job instructing at Purdue got one.

Just as there are quite a few avenues open with an aviation degree... why does everyone think that the only thing you can do with an aviation degree is fly?????

While I agree with you that the major assumption is that all people can do with an aviation degree is fly, I will agree with the idea that with an aviation degree, one is limiting themselves to a job within that industry. This, at times like these, can be quite limiting.

Purdue has one, and only one, benefit and that would be networking. Purdue has a great alumni network and the department has some great connections within the airline/corp world. However, does this make up for a lacking education? Beware over the next few years as the honeymoon years with the new administration end. The new administration is much less concerned with the quality of education than with the amount of funds being raised, but I digress...

Exceptional students, no matter what degree program they are enrolled in, will always be able to score jobs and excel in whichever industry they desire. Movers and shakers will be movers and shakers. Those who don't fall into this extremely small percent of the demographic will be limited by the "aviation" title on a degree.

I made some great friends at Purdue, friends I will have for the rest of my life. However, the school was not worth 40k/year. Not even close. The maintenance on Purdue airplanes was fantastic. Working with dispatch varied on who was working, but on the whole took the fun out of flying. Instructors also varied in skill and competence. I had one bad experience on an end of course check with a simulated engine failure with the mixture.

Purdue is a name, a good one, but just a name. Whether it is Purdue's program or aviation programs in general, I'm simply not sure, but there surely was not a high level of academic value during my time spent there.

P.S. There are a plethora of government and private jobs that a Pol. Sci degree will get you (although a tiny percent of which are located in IN).

Back