Will I be able to attend my friend's wedding while in OKC?

ViperJoe

My best friend is getting married on Saturday June 6th in Washington state where I currently live. I'll be in OKC training at the Academy from March 31st until June 25th. Do you think it would be a problem to leave for that weekend?

I'm mainly looking for advice from someone who's currently attending or attended OKC training. How busy are you on the weekends? Is there a lot of studying for a possible Monday exam that might need to be done? Or is there a chance I'd have classes 3pm-midnight Friday night so it wouldn't be too fun trying to fly to WA straight after? Is it at all possible to miss one class day? I've heard from some people that training at the Academy is a piece of cake and easier than college. That it's when you get on-the-job that's the really tough part.

My friend needs an answer soon cause he'd like me to be a part of the wedding. But it's so far away that I really don't know what my schedule's going to be like at the Academy. He'd like me to be a major part of the wedding but I don't know if I can promise I'd be there. Should I ask for a more minor role in the wedding and just give him an answer of "maybe" I'll be there? Or do some of you who are at the Academy think it wouldn't be a real problem getting there and back for a weekend?

Thanks for any opinions! They'll help!

Re: Will I be able to attend my friend's wedding while in OK

My best friend is getting married on Saturday June 6th in Washington state where I currently live. I'll be in OKC training at the Academy from March 31st until June 25th. Do you think it would be a problem to leave for that weekend?

I'm mainly looking for advice from someone who's currently attending or attended OKC training. How busy are you on the weekends? Is there a lot of studying for a possible Monday exam that might need to be done? Or is there a chance I'd have classes 3pm-midnight Friday night so it wouldn't be too fun trying to fly to WA straight after? Is it at all possible to miss one class day? I've heard from some people that training at the Academy is a piece of cake and easier than college. That it's when you get on-the-job that's the really tough part.

My friend needs an answer soon cause he'd like me to be a part of the wedding. But it's so far away that I really don't know what my schedule's going to be like at the Academy. He'd like me to be a major part of the wedding but I don't know if I can promise I'd be there. Should I ask for a more minor role in the wedding and just give him an answer of "maybe" I'll be there? Or do some of you who are at the Academy think it wouldn't be a real problem getting there and back for a weekend?

Thanks for any opinions! They'll help!
I wouldn't recommend it. About a 50-50 chance you'll have a night shift Friday and morning shift Monday. Or you'll get lucky and have the opposite. But why take a chance on something happening and you missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime?

you can go, its not as big of a problem as people think. if you really want to go just make sure you have a backup plan. and if your flight gets delayed the first thing you should do is call the academy and be up front.

Keep in mind if you are playing a major part in the wedding, you will most likely be requires t oattend the rehearsal, which is usually the day before. So even if you have days classes, that wouldn't be good. Keep in mind that you will probably be really close to PV during that time, you can't afford to miss a day. Also your facility won't be happy if you miss.

I'll be flying home in May to attend a wedding. I tried finding someone else to take my place, but my fiancée wouldn't hear it :laff:. So, I have no choice but to take the chance of leaving for the weekend.

If I were you, I would still go, but I would take a much smaller role (if any).

My husband had a married couple in his class take 2 days off this week because of a funeral. I don't know if they view weddings and funerals as the same though!

In the "old days" (or better refered to as "back in the day") ABSOLUTELY NOT, but now in the kinder and gentler FFAA, as long as you don't mind the hassle of the traveling/possibly getting stranded (they would not look kindly on that) etc...go ahead.

My husband had a married couple in his class take 2 days off this week because of a funeral. I don't know if they view weddings and funerals as the same though!

In a sense the two getting married are ending their lives as well, so I don't see why it wouldn't be treated the same as a funeral.

Ha ha, I like the funny responses guys. From what you've said I think I will try to go to the wedding but won't accept a part in it, I'll just sit in the audience. Cause yeah, I forgot there'd be a rehearsal which I'd have to attend. It certainly won't be fun trying to make a flight over there and back for such a short time and small event but since it's for my best friend I'm going to make my best effort. I can probably decide sometime in April when I'm at the Academy if I want to attempt the trip or not and buy a plane ticket.

Thanks again for the advice!

I seem to remember a post from someone a few months ago (maybe mugenfan....) that stated they tell you on day one not to leave, because if you dont make it back due to cxl flight or freeway accident you are pretty much done at the academy......

but it sounds like that might not be the case anymore?

I'm almost positive you won't get a day off to attend a wedding. You are so pressed with time while you're at the academy you can't really afford to miss one day. But the weekends are yours to do with what you choose as long as your here for class when your suppose to be. I can't tell you how to study but in my opinion you don't need to spend every hour of the day here in the books. You go to work for 8 hours a day and they drill the info into you there. Not studying for one day isn't going to make or break you at the academy.

I have finished the Academy. I say, "go." There's only one problem though. The FAA constantly changes your schedule while you are in OKC. If you have day classes that Friday before, you are golden. If you have night classes, I imagine it may be a little tough to travel. As far as being crammed and studying for an exam, I really wouldn't sweat it.

They will tell you one week you will be on nights. The next day, they say you are on days that week. Two days after that, they change it back to days. You may not really know what your schedule will be for that Friday until the week before. Good luck.

Don't listen to some of the people on here. Go to the wedding. If you need a little time off just contact your facility and let them know since they are the ones that need to approve your time off. I have NEVER heard of anyone not getting a little leave. You won't miss much.

Dion

Back