Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

You'll be fine, you'll still have a 30 yr. career. Seriously.

But try being 44 yrs old having just dropped $65k for flight training. And experiencing that very real fear due to all the furloughs out there and the possibilities of airlines not hiring for a long time, widdling down your chances of ever sitting in the right, or the left seat of a 121 jet. Wasted money, to have to pay back for a job I might never get, only to become a weekend warrior. Wasted dreams, I guess. I have A LOT of anxiety about it, it keeps me up a lot sometimes.
Hey! Look at the bright side. You're in the greater SLC monstrosity, er, metroplex, right?? Buy real estate. Then sell it... quick. Hold that money for a year or two until the just before the Chinese and Russians start driving the prices back up. Then buy back in. You'll make yourself- and America- great again.

Management types say "hold my beer"

“Yeah, listen we’re at bingo fuel here in about three to four minutes. I’ve got to come in and land.”

what squadron were YOU in?:rolleyes:

Hey! Look at the bright side. You're in the greater SLC monstrosity, er, metroplex, right?? Buy real estate. Then sell it... quick. Hold that money for a year or two until the just before the Chinese and Russians start driving the prices back up. Then buy back in. You'll make yourself- and America- great again.

I actually returned from my two year Mormon mission in June. I'm back in Phoenix now.

I flew with my group EVP last year, in fact. Good trip.

Being an EVP is not a full time gig. But the MEC Chair at every airline should be on full-time buy with no flying. And airlines over around 1,000 pilots should have at least two officers on full-time status. During contract negotiations, all officers and the entire NC. Should be SOP. This populist BS is counterproductive.

Being an EVP is not a full time gig. But the MEC Chair at every airline should be on full-time buy with no flying. And airlines over around 1,000 pilots should have at least two officers on full-time status. During contract negotiations, all officers and the entire NC. Should be SOP. This populist BS is counterproductive.
From your perspective - perhaps.
Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding reasons to care about your perspective about the MEC chair at my shop. Our other guys fly too. Matter of fact, I think min of 15 hrs a month for currency and proficiency might be in bylaws somewhere. Vaguely remember it from the secretary/treasurer vacancy posting.

I cringe at the thought of a pilot that hangs up his wings "for a greater good" negotiating for what he thinks is better for me. There are legitimate reasons for doing that temporarily, medical bring a good example, but voluntarily, for good? Because the desk is cushier? Why become a pilot at all?

Not no, but hell no. You can't accurately and properly represent a group you're no longer actively a part of. A pilot needs to fly. Period. Doesn't matter what their other union or management role is.

That’s nice.

Incidentally, nowhere in my post did I say that wasn’t the case. But you should remain current.

That’s nice.

Incidentally, nowhere in my post did I say that wasn’t the case. But you should remain current.

Hardcore disagree. The last thing people going head to head with management all the time need to be doing is being subjected to jeopardy events. I spent far too much time as an EVP reviewing union animus cases where we had to fund FPL for people terminated while doing union work.

“This career is hard. It’s not for everyone. If you’re already doing well with another career be extremely cautious leaving that for aviation. This is hard on family. It’s hard on your physical and mental health.”
Care to expand on some of this for an outsider looking in? Some of it is apparent. Schedules/time zones, sitting for long periods of time, airport food etc. I don’t mean to create a negative thread but as you age the things you mentioned become more of a focus.

Hardcore disagree. The last thing people going head to head with management all the time need to be doing is being subjected to jeopardy events. I spent far too much time as an EVP reviewing union animus cases where we had to fund FPL for people terminated while doing union work.
Ff
I want to say something along the lines of "so he can sit at the desk until his ass grows so big it won't fit in the airplane", but then I'm like "ugh... that's precisely what Todd did", so from a figure of speech it becomes body shaming or somesuch, so I don't.

Ff
I want to say something along the lines of "so he can sit at the desk until his ass grows so big it won't fit in the airplane", but then I'm like "ugh... that's precisely what Todd did", so from a figure of speech it becomes body shaming or somesuch, so I don't.
And yet you wrote it out and hit “Post” anyway. Major lack of class IMHO.

Care to expand on some of this for an outsider looking in? Some of it is apparent. Schedules/time zones, sitting for long periods of time, airport food etc. I don’t mean to create a negative thread but as you age the things you mentioned become more of a focus.

I could provide excellent data points to answer your question. Why specifically this career is not really that great. Unless, well you weight the flying airplanes part of the positive list so much that it makes up for all the things in the negative list. Until one has done this and sees how stupid it is, its not really possible to know how dumb one is being. If I did provide those data points, I'll be ripped to shreds by the members of this board. They will call me names and personally attack me. I'll be labeled as someone with a bad attitude who is weak and shouldn't be a pilot. This has all happened before.

So I'll try and keep it positive.

I ride mountain bikes a lot. I notice who is on the rides on weekdays when the conditions are good. They have enough job flexibility to ride nearly every day. Or they they can do things like "Oh I just left work early to pick up the kids at school" or "Oh I just rescheduled some meetings so I could ride with you guys." Those are the good jobs. Sure aviation isn't the only industry to get hit hard because 'Rona. But 'Rona has also made it extremely clear who has a REALLY good job.

Me: "So now you can work from home? Like from anywhere? So you can live in Bellingham and ride during the day every weekday and you get weekends off too?"

I had to pick my jaw up out of the dirt when I spoke with someone recently who not only managed to keep their job but massively improve their quality of life. All of the advantages of being a pilot. None of the disadvantages. Those jobs are out there. They seem to be recession proof. Best of all you don't start at the bottom of a different company when you get a new job.

I could provide excellent data points to answer your question. Why specifically this career is not really that great. Unless, well you weight the flying airplanes part of the positive list so much that it makes up for all the things in the negative list. Until one has done this and sees how stupid it is, its not really possible to know how dumb one is being. If I did provide those data points, I'll be ripped to shreds by the members of this board. They will call me names and personally attack me. I'll be labeled as someone with a bad attitude who is weak and shouldn't be a pilot. This has all happened before.

So I'll try and keep it positive.

I ride mountain bikes a lot. I notice who is on the rides on weekdays when the conditions are good. They have enough job flexibility to ride nearly every day. Or they they can do things like "Oh I just left work early to pick up the kids at school" or "Oh I just rescheduled some meetings so I could ride with you guys." Those are the good jobs. Sure aviation isn't the only industry to get hit hard because 'Rona. But 'Rona has also made it extremely clear who has a REALLY good job.

Me: "So now you can work from home? Like from anywhere? So you can live in Bellingham and ride during the day every weekday and you get weekends off too?"

I had to pick my jaw up out of the dirt when I spoke with someone recently who not only managed to keep their job but massively improve their quality of life. All of the advantages of being a pilot. None of the disadvantages. Those jobs are out there. They seem to be recession proof. Best of all you don't start at the bottom of a different company when you get a new job.
Well.....don’t keep us in suspense, what are these jobs?

I think you'll notice the increasingly passive aggressive and just outright hateful comments my last response generates why I don't expound on the reasons why not to become a pilot.

Airplanes are super cool. Working in aviation is not a good career.

Find a good career and fly airplanes for fun. If you decide on a career in aviation be prepared for one of the worst experiences in your life. Just look at Max's post from a day or two ago. Huge amounts of debt and no reasonable career expectations. This is for someone incredibly well networked and liked here at JC.

Back