Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

Yeah but to be clear I’ll probably fly with you one day and ask you how the ever loving F studying for CQ isn’t taking work home with me...

????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

If you think that’s ANYTHING like what most people have to deal with when they “take work home with them”, you are lucky. Because clearly you’ve never had a job where you took work home with you.

I remember having project deadlines where I would have to stay at work extra long, work weekends, literally take work with me to my home and deal with it, or stress out about it, etc. Oh, and that is salary so you are definitely not getting paid extra. Spending a week or two studying for CQ is laughable in comparison.

My former career would definitely lend itself to the situation your mountain bike friends have. No thanks, never, ever do I want to go back to that stress and other stupid crap that goes with it.

You aren’t too old to do a career change though! You should definitely go for it if you think that’s a better deal. I can’t imagine staying in an industry you’re unhappy with and not doing anything about it. That’s exactly how I became a professional pilot.

In fairness, the skilled trades that pay $100k-$150k, what a senior regional guy is accustomed to, are usually very difficult work. Doing commercial HVAC work sucks. It's hot, it's dirty, etc. It is not like sitting in a chair five miles over the earth and reading a magazine for most of the day. Yes, you're at home every day, but your time at work blows.

Honestly, if you don't have the skill set, experience, education, whatever to get a nice white collar job or own your own business that can replace your income, you're better off sticking with flying.

True, but I sleep better after a physical day anyways. Flying often findds me in a hotel room mentally exhausted but physically rested and a one hour workout at the hotel gym simply can’t compare to an honest days work.
Everything has its ups and downs I suppose. After seeing the physical shape many senior pilots are in, I’d say you might be right.....or maybe they should go put themselves through the ringer it could save their lives lol. It’s fun getting fat, losing it not so much

The open secret regarding CFI:

Train where you want to work. Flight schools hire their own CFIs. You want a CFI job? That's how you get one.

This is definitely true, especially right now for the larger schools in Arizona that have cadet programs and internal CFI academies. There's a backlog of CFI's that graduated from these programs (and continue to graduate) but couldn't get hired by their respective school, so they'll be called first before outside applicants as hiring trickles back.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

If you think that’s ANYTHING like what most people have to deal with when they “take work home with them”, you are lucky. Because clearly you’ve never had a job where you took work home with you.

I remember having project deadlines where I would have to stay at work extra long, work weekends, literally take work with me to my home and deal with it, or stress out about it, etc. Oh, and that is salary so you are definitely not getting paid extra. Spending a week or two studying for CQ is laughable in comparison.

My former career would definitely lend itself to the situation your mountain bike friends have. No thanks, never, ever do I want to go back to that stress and other stupid crap that goes with it.

You aren’t too old to do a career change though! You should definitely go for it if you think that’s a better deal. I can’t imagine staying in an industry you’re unhappy with and not doing anything about it. That’s exactly how I became a professional pilot.

Dude I’m fully aware. It’s why I recommend 121. Studying for CQ isn’t bad but it’s certainly not “never taking work home with you.”

As for my experience with 91/135 and other jobs I’ve had. You definitely take your work home with you.

This is definitely true, especially right now for the larger schools in Arizona that have cadet programs and internal CFI academies. There's a backlog of CFI's that graduated from these programs (and continue to graduate) but couldn't get hired by their respective school, so they'll be called first before outside applicants as hiring trickles back.

Yeah, I'm thinking I need to up my teaching game right now because we're getting a little heavy on CFIs without any of them moving on.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit? I know stupid question. Giggle. But, from the tone of his post, I'd say no.

What other plane did 410? He said he was on the 717 his entire time at AirTran/SWA and that can’t go to 410. The Beech 1900 certainly can’t either. So unless he flew some sort of business jets, the 410 would have been at 9E. I’ll let him answer, since I don’t know his full resume.

The 410 club wasn’t meant to be derogatory. It was just an informal thing where some guys who’d gone that high would informally made their own verbal club about it. Personally I say who cares? I’ve been to FL390 in the Bus and not once in Boeing training have I thought “oh sweet I can go to FL410!”

Who cares? The paycheck is the same at both altitudes.

What other plane did 410? He said he was on the 717 his entire time at AirTran/SWA and that can’t go to 410. The Beech 1900 certainly can’t either. So unless he flew some sort of business jets, the 410 would have been at 9E. I’ll let him answer, since I don’t know his full resume.

The 410 club wasn’t meant to be derogatory. It was just an informal thing where some guys who’d gone that high would informally made their own verbal club about it. Personally I say who cares? I’ve been to FL390 in the Bus and not once in Boeing training have I thought “oh sweet I can go to FL410!”

Who cares? The paycheck is the same at both altitudes.

Just exponentially more radiation the higher you go...

Not at all

More like "Break a leg" "F.... you"

Well cool man. The major airline I work for just unilaterally changed our vacation trading and ability to pick up open days. Without even referencing the contract or talking to the union.

It’s screwed the entire pilot group for getting time off for the next year. Even if it is fixed for 2022, 2021 is probably going to be a wash.

I won’t be able to race bikes all next summer because I won’t be able to get the day or two of vacation I need to drop a trip.

This is just the latest hit this week. I like airplanes. Trust me you can go to my dads office and see all the old airplane pictures I drew as a kid and all the models I built. Airplanes are great. All I am saying is it just might not be worth the endless crap sandwiches I’m forced to eat, over and over.

Back