Why aren't I allowed to "ignore" a Mod/Administrator?

RetiredATLATC

Why is it not possibly to put a Mod/Administrator on ignore, like I can with others, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Well, honestly, it’s a hotly discussed topic over on the software vendor’s forum.

One school of thought is that you should be able to ignore any poster on a forum, regardless of user tag (ie: “staff member”, “administrator”) but still be privy to communications specific to moderation.

The competing school of thought is that some forums have policies about silent moderation where paid staff is onboard make sure the community standards are being upheld.

Kind of my unwritten rule is that everyone is free to participate in the forum in whichever way they choose, consistent with the community standards but the inevitable internet fisticuffs are kept separate and apart from moderation duties because there’s an uneven balance of power. For example, it’s one thing to drag race an off-duty policeman... That’s a zesty endeavor that would bring delicious shame to his jacked up, janky hoopty. But it would be a complete dick move for that off-duty policeman to challenge you to a race and then attempt to arrest you for exhibition of speed.

The way I see the website is that we’re all basically screen names online and there really shouldn’t be a social hierarchy. You’re more than welcome to tell me I’m full of it (I often am) and I’m not going to shrivel and respond “ZOMG, I’m a MODERATOR!” because it’s challenging keeping a forum healthy in a vertical hierarchy, which is why I don’t hold myself in any higher regard than a user that joined three days ago.

As long as the forum content stays within the community standards, have fun. And if it’s not fun, and 99% of the beefs come from The Lavatory in various scents and flavors, say to hell with that topic for a few days. There are people that live in there that literally enjoy arguing festooning themselves with collected shells of “newsiness” and that’s basically something that myself and a lot of other webmasters talk about constantly.

Ok, I’m rambling. it’s almost 4pm and by virtue of the “Member Announcements” post, you all know what’s about to go down.

It's a two way street. Mods/admins can't place any users on ignore either. So we have to read some of the inane idiocy posted here too, or skim it or ignore it. But there's no option to not see it. So, it just makes one exercise some control over themselves to not read content they don't care for.

Back