Whos Hiring ?

Lucky

Does anyone have any information on who's hiring in Europe, and if they are hiring, what are the minimums for an interview?

Greatly appreciated!

The situation in europe is difficult these days.
Tyrolean is hiring, you need a austrian CPL with written ATPL and written long range. German or other ATPL will be accepted too. Check under www.aua.com
Air Berlin is hiring but only untill jan03, 9 guys per month because of 4 new B738 that will be added to the fleet naxt year. Both are expecting excelent written and spoken german skills.
Soem Low Cost carrier are still hiring. Ryanair and EasyJet thats all i think!

Actually, it doesn't say who is hiring, just the addresses of airlines.

I mean, if I were a charitable guy, I'd be on the telephone asking for up to date information from the airlines about who's hiring and who's furloughing, but boy would I be a geek!

Sorry about that one Doug
grin.gif

Well i know this post is a little on the old side, but I just came across it now. My instructor is from sweden and he was telling me about Ryan Air or somthing like that, that was hiring. some of his friends that he trained with back in sweden were hired. He said his friends were hired with about 300 hours or so.

-Brian

I did my BFR with your instructor the other day! Great guy, I had a blast flying with him!

Yeah, Ryanair picks people up with 300 hours! Heck at BA if you went through the TEP scheme you woul be in a 757 with 200ish! Not a bad gig if you ask me!

Well the cost to get your Frozen ATPL (what you need to get hired in the UK) costs are $120,000 and very few people can afford that, so much like large companies have graduate training, BA and other airlines offer similar programs for pilots. The competition is fierce but if you are lucky enough to get in, you are certainly set!

Gday Iain,

I looked into converting my Oz licence to JAR licence a couple of years back and I was told that the ATPL theory takes 5-6 months to complete FULL TIME! Is this still the case?? I was also told the ATPL syllabus consisted of 14 subjects, and if you didn't get the hours required to validate your theory passes within a certain period (2yrs??) you had to take the exams again...

Sounds like the CAA goes out of their way to make pilots lives hard in Europe.

I don't know much about the US system but is it true companies offer a 4-5 day theory course to get you through the FAA ATP theory??

Yeah, it is a pretty rough ride converting to the JAA equiv. I knew a girl who did it, and yes the ground school is 4-5 months (14 courses), as well as having to redo the whole instrument practical. Failing and having to resit 2-3 of the subjects was quite common, if you failed 7 or more you had to resit the whole 14!

The way I look at it, the US is more interested in actual flying, to get any airline job you need 1000, in Europe the have more emphasis on ground school, if you have a great understand of the theory, and are trained with a career flying airliners, then you are safe flying a 737 with 200TT.

Hello all,
I'm new to this idea of flying in Europe and would like more information. If I already have my commercial single and multi licenses, how do I convert these to JAA? Do I have to go all the way through the entire JAA abb initio program? Wouldn't it be easier for me since I already have my license and am at least familiar with flying?
Where would I go to get more information about converting my licenses?

Hi braidkid....yep,you would need to go tru all the JAA hassle again. they credit some of your flighthours but you would need to write tests on all 14 subjects (like aerodynamics,performance,flight planning etc.)
then you need to take the checkride in the JAR member country you want your license issued.
Its a huge mess right now and there are rumors that countries are going back to their old system (who knows).

But if you wanna fly in Europe, there is no way around it unless you have many thousand jet hrs on type - then you get most of the license for "free" except a written test about air law.

There are regulation changes nearly every day and nobody knows about. It would be a good system but many countries still have limitations above the JAR level (France only accepts JAR licences issued in France, in Germany you generally need to able to speak german in order to land an airline job, etc.)

Hope that helped a bit
wink.gif

Dumb question:

What countries are part of the JAA system? ALL EU countries? What AUS, New Zealand?

Back