Who would you like to be the #1 airline in 10 years?

Joshua949

We all know that right now AA is the #1 airline, but in ten years who would you like to see be the #1 airline?

I vote for AA.

[ QUOTE ]
We all know that right now AA is the #1 airline, but in ten years who would you like to see be the #1 airline?

I vote for AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was jetcareers.com!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I vote for AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was jetcareers.com!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax....He sounds like he is in the Citationkid age bracket.

But my vote would be for Delta as they as well as there partners fly more people around the world then any other airline.

Which always makes me wonder why they are not in fact the #1airline.

Matthew

As iruppert said, this is Jetcareers, not a.net, but...

I don't think there will really be a #1 airline. As fair market share or profitability or ROS or ROE or any other measure of financial success, someone will be in first. But airlines have become almost the same in the service they offer. Sure, some fly places other's don't. And some have better FF programs. And some have consistently lower fares. But that said, each person needs something different out of an airline. I don't really care what sort of A/C it is, and I don't care if it has TVs in every seat. And I don't really mind having a long layover/multiple connection flight. For me (a poor college student, soon to be even poorer CFI) I care almost entirely on cost. Ok, so I wouldn't fly TowerAir because they were cheapest, but you are talking to someone who used to regularly take ValueJet down to Florida. However, for other people, comfort, speed, and quality of service (in cabin) matter the most. So, all that said. I don't think there will really be a number one airline 10 years from now. I think there will still be a big 4 or 3 and they will all be so close that there won't be a way to differentiate between them.

IMO
Ethan

Well or there will be less airlines around then there are now.

Either with airlines folding due to poor management.

Or possibly due to airline mergers.

Matthew

1. United/Delta/Northwest
2. Southwest
3. America West/Alaska
4. Jetblue
5. AirTran/ATA

Does that work?
confused.gif
grin.gif

Well, if AA is still the best airline in the world, I'll probably have my job back, so that would make me pretty happy.

But right now I'd rather see Delta kick some serious butt and become the worlds biggest! Anything so my dh stays employed!

[ QUOTE ]

I vote for AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whichever airline has hired me in 6 years
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Whichever airline has hired me in 6 years

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with that. Whoever gives me the keys to something that burns Jet A.
tongue.gif

In my senior seminar class we did a project on the aviation(airlines and GA)industry in 20 years. Aviation week had a good article on this, it said SWA will be #1. Can't remember the other spots, but Jetblue was in the top 5, most of the current majors were still on the top of the list. Wish I could find that article. I really hope southwest doesnt take over, 5 stops between LAX and JFK would really suck.

Southwest actually does very well for non-stop flights (PHX-BWI for example), and they're always looking into new markets.

If I did have to put out a WAG, I would have to say that Southwest will be near the top. Their lower fixed costs, and the "no frills" marketing has done wonders for them thus far!

JetBlue on the other hand, may be shooting themselves in the foot with the new Embraer 190s coming online. Only time will tell.

Well, going off of numbers alone, American Eagle would be a major airline as well. Based upon their route structure, aircraft, and passenger loads, I think it's safe to give JetBlue an "honorary" major airline title.
smile.gif

Eagle is considered a major airline, just as Chautauqua is. Remember that a defination of a major airline is any airline that grosses $1 billion or more.

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle is considered a major airline, just as Chautauqua is. Remember that a defination of a major airline is any airline that grosses $1 billion or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The definition is stupid, too... IMO.

I don't want to get into a debate about it here though, that's an a.net kinda thing
tongue.gif

I don't think this is an a.net topic at all. This has to do with our industry, and we're merely discussing it. The reason I brought up American Eagle was to show that while an airline may technically meet the definition of ">$1 Billion gross revenue," that does not always mean they operate as one. Eagle is American's regional counterpart, and that's where they're staying.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is an a.net topic at all. This has to do with our industry, and we're merely discussing it. The reason I brought up American Eagle was to show that while an airline may technically meet the definition of ">$1 Billion gross revenue," that does not always mean they operate as one. Eagle is American's regional counterpart, and that's where they're staying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a debate about the definition of a 'major airline'
grin.gif

How do we know JetBlue won't end up like PeopleExpress? They we once the darling of the industry and Burr was on the cover of every business magazine, just like JetBlue today...but you don't see them flying anymore. Their earnings are under-estimates for this quarter and they keep picking fights with every major. Delta and AirTran managed to run them out of Atlanta. Now they are picking on AMR out of Boston...the only airline that has fought with AMR and not lost is Southwest, and I wouldn't call what they have a win.

Back