Who the hell wants to fly anyway!?

secretapproach

So here I am sitting in the office in Berlin, looking out from the 13th floor at low stratus clouds and/or high fog. The only thing I need to finish my private license are my solo cross countries. Yesterday and today I woke up, called the WX briefing number and listened to them tell me how beautiful the weather is above the low stratus layer. Hmmm... as a VFR student pilot that doesn't do me much good. We have this soupy weather that has decided to hang around for several days - exactly the days when I have time to fly. I'm sitting on four flight plans - one each for North, South, East and West just in case things open up!
crazy.gif

I know that this happens to everyone who learns to fly in climates like these in the winter. But really what I'm looking for is a lot of gut wrenching sympathy, or better yet a gigantic fan to blow this stuff over to Poland or up to Scandanavia! I would really appreciate any help! Thanks.

A Grounded Pilot in Berlin

Geez 2 days. I learnt to fly in Southern California and it took 5-6 months to get 2 days with good weather to do my solo x-c and it was not all that uncommon!

[ QUOTE ]
Geez 2 days. I learnt to fly in Southern California and it took 5-6 months to get 2 days with good weather to do my solo x-c and it was not all that uncommon!

[/ QUOTE ]

In Southern California? I thought there was always nice weather there. But man, Iain, that is not the kind of sympathy I was looking for (sniff).
frown.gif

As I look out the window right now at 3:50pm I can see one small break in the clouds. Hopefully that's a good sign for tomorrow!

I took me 2 months to do 2 solo x-countries. It's part of the game, be patient and you will finish up!

Mahesh

This is so cool that we have pilots from across the world coming together on Jetcareers!

Hopefully that weather will clear up for you soon. We have had a string of nasty weather the past few weeks in Illinois. Yesterday was clear, warmer, and not much wind... many instructors maxed out 8 hours of flying that day!

Most everyone here is behind in getting their students done. And it's February! What about April showers??
confused.gif

It is not that uncommon in Socal to wait a while for a solo x-c Ed also had a long wait. Althought the weather is always nice, things like haze, morning fog/low clouds seem to happen frequently!

Whatcha complaining about? My flying has included cancellations due to haze, thunderstorms, rain, snow, freezing rain, wind, and TSA nonsense. For me, every milestone is delayed for a long time. The initial solo took about three months to get to because of cancellations. My first solo cross country got delayed for two weeks. And now my checkride is being delayed for weeks again!

If I wasn't such a stubborn SOB, I'd have quit flying by now!

grin.gif

Well I hope the wx clears soon for your flight! In the meantime study up for the ride so when you get your xc done you'll be all set to go. And, like fine wine, the longer you wait, the sweeter it will taste when it's all said and done!

Back