Who Should be Able to Fly Airshows?

Boy I wish GG hadn't crashed, according to all these experts it should have gone at least 1000 mph on a thimble full of corn oil.

Sent from 1865 by telegraph....

The guy who penned that AvWeb article obviously hasn't been around unlimited air racing that much, otherwise he'd know that oilcanning (that torquing of the fuselage and the resultant wrinkling of skin, misalignment of panels, etc) is completely normal in unlimited racers.

I don't agree with his assessment that, "there was strong evidence that the airplane was coming apart".

Examples of shots of oilcanning on other unlimited racers...that weren't about to (and did not) come apart in flight and crash into the crowd:

attachment.php

\
attachment.php

The guy who penned that AvWeb article obviously hasn't been around unlimited air racing that much, otherwise he'd know that oilcanning (that torquing of the fuselage and the resultant wrinkling of skin, misalignment of panels, etc) is completely normal in unlimited racers.

No doubt. Bertorelli probably hasn't done much with air racing, but that doesn't mean he can't have an opinion. That said, he is a fairly well known voice for GA, and as such, I wish he wouldn't have spouted off so much about something he probably doesn't know much about. He's also the guy who made the video making fun of flight instructors wearing monkey suits by wearing about 25 stripes on each shoulder.

The answer to the question?

ALL RIDDLE GRADS.

"Here, from stage left comes a flight from the class of 1993 in a crisp standard rate turn OHHHH there he goes into a Patter C basic attitude instrument demonstration...."

The answer to the question?

ALL RIDDLE GRADS.

"Here, from stage left comes a flight from the class of 1993 in a crisp standard rate turn OHHHH there he goes into a Patter C basic attitude instrument demonstration...."

Thats us :)

You know, the Bob Odengaard thread put me in mind of this. I claim no credit. If you can shut down the engines of a Commander 500, do a loop, and taxi to the stand without crushing the brakes, you can fly an airshow. Simple. Easy. Right. No hacks allowed, and no BS considered.

No doubt. Bertorelli probably hasn't done much with air racing, but that doesn't mean he can't have an opinion. That said, he is a fairly well known voice for GA, and as such, I wish he wouldn't have spouted off so much about something he probably doesn't know much about. He's also the guy who made the video making fun of flight instructors wearing monkey suits by wearing about 25 stripes on each shoulder.

That was a funny video....

The bolded part is the thing that's concerning. When folks who have a voice and an audience use it when they are ignorant on a topic, it can definitely do more harm than good, especially -- especially -- in the aviation community. Think about all the times the media outlets have some private pilot on as their 'aviation expert' when there's some kind of airliner crash, and he's relating some kind of 'wisdom' that is ridiculously far off the mark but being taken as gospel because of his supposed expertise. That's where I am on this one.

Just because one has a voice is not the same as meaning that one should use it. As we say in the USAF fighter community, "never pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut."

I would like it known - my posting of the Avweb article is NOT an endorsement of his views, just posting what a prominent Av-journalist had written so I could see what everyone thought of it. Carry on.

Back