Who is Kit Darby?

DenverPilot8

I can't remember an article that I've read lately about the state of the industry that hasn't quoted Kit Darby. Who is he and is he credible?

He owns a company called AirInc, which sells airline interview and preparation information. Not really an employment service per se, as he does not set up any jobs or interviews. I've never subscribed to the service, but it does have a nice magazine that comes with it. An enjoyable read, if not very helpful.

He's trying to sell his services to young pilots that don't realize they can get along just fine without him. In my opinion, not credible.

I never paid any attention to him, and certainly never gave him any money. My career progression is coming along just fine.

It just seems to me that he is always the go to guy for interviews on the airline industry. But yeah he is alwasy talking about how pilots are in short supply. There is a video of him speaking on ATP's website about how now is the best time to be training.

Kit's the guy laughing his way to the bank, he's been saying there is a pilot shortage for years. Don't waste your money.

It just seems to me that he is always the go to guy for interviews on the airline industry. But yeah he is alwasy talking about how pilots are in short supply. There is a video of him speaking on ATP's website about how now is the best time to be training.

ha, when you're in the business of pilot training, there's no better time for people to hand over their cash.

I can't remember an article that I've read lately about the state of the industry that hasn't quoted Kit Darby. Who is he and is he credible?

He is a retired UAL captain and has been in the pilot interview prep market for over 20 years. His service is fee based and many people feel that he exploits young pilots. That said he has put on many job seminars where numerous people have had the chance to network and meet employers. I've presented at one of his seminars and met him in person. He didn't look like the devil, in fact, he was quite personable. You may find his service useful or you may not, but back in the days before internet forums it was one of the only major sources of information on airline hiring available.

Typhoonpilot

There was a massive shortage about to happen until the gov't saved the airline's tails and implemented age 65. 4 years from now the hiring chaos will begin again...

I heard him speak at Oshkosh a couple months ago and he seemed to be very well informed. I think he gets a bad wrap because of his overly positive mentality, although that's not a bad thing to have in this industry...

I think he gets a bad wrap because of his overly positive mentality, although that's not a bad thing to have in this industry...

I think an overly positive mentality is bad in any industry. You don't want to be always negative, but it's important to be realistic as well.

I'm in sales. If I always figured that there was no such thing as a hard no, I would piss away too much time trying to get these people to yes and I wouldn't have as much time to move someone who is a soft no to a yes.

Positivity tempered with realism is what you want. Screaming over and over again that there's a pilot shortage looming to get people to cough up money for your service is ridiculous.

I used to work for a magazine that covered the airline industry. Know what we did with Darby's faxes?

Right into the recycle bin.

To answer your question, the former Iraqi Information Minister escaped prior to Saddams capture and is in America selling pilot jobs.

Back