Who I met this weekend.

Hootie

Old Skool
So it was my families 100th family reunion in Wisconsin this year. So there was a bigger turn out than normal (300+)with people who had never been before. So during the annual golf tournament rumors start flying around that there is an actual astronaut who came and is golfing right now and will be around for the activities over the next two days. So on the 18th hole everyone is hanging out and someone points him out and I figure to myself that he probably works for nasa. But that night at supper someone on the mic points him out and gets him to talk a little about when he will be going into space and on what flight (sts-120). So afterwards my uncle grabs me and says "you are going to talk to him" (my uncle is a retired army O-6). So he breaks the ice (I was nervous because I was tipsy) and we get to talking to him. He went to the naval academy then got P3s out of pilot training (I stuck my foot in my mouth by asking him if he flew hornets or tomcats because I though astronauts had to have fighter backgrounds) then got a masters in ASTROnautical engineering at navel postgraduate school, got into to test pilot school on his 8TH try, flew gliders -hornets- secret stuff- blimps-etc. Made O-6 and then became an astronaut , completed training and is scheduled to go into space. There were ALOT of people who waited there turn and he answered everyones repetitive questions (for 6 HOURS)with just a 100% "ah schucks" kind of attitude. Really cool attitude to see come from such an acomplished person. Kids were mugging him for autographs, and when I wasnt around my aunt got one of those nasa public relations glossy pictures autographed personally for me and he even took time to write a little something about me wanting to make it to upt, really humble guy, really inspiring.
And we are related.

That is awesome - 300+ people!! SHEESH!! If my family had a reunion, it would span 4 continents and about 10 people would be there. My family is pequitisimo!!

I meet a Russian Cosmonaut before - space is just more airspace as far as he is concerned.

Cool!

Where was the reunion in Wisconsin? Remember, I'm married to a cheesehead so you might be one of my nephews!
smile.gif
haha!

[ QUOTE ]
Cool!

Where was the reunion in Wisconsin? Remember, I'm married to a cheesehead so you might be one of my nephews!
smile.gif
haha!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
grin.gif

The town that it takes place in is Harrisville and Westfield (aprox. one hour south of Osh Kosh). Pretty small towns and our reunioin pretty much swells their population (kinda like the olympics coming to town). Family name that the reunion is under is Thalacker . I mean it must go WAY back, because half of the towns museum is dedicated to Thalacker crap and even the golf course is called "Thal Acres". Its so bad that you walk into a bar and they say "Your not from around here are you. Must be in town for the Thalacker reunion. You know your great great great great granpa built that city hall there with his bare hands and then after digging the town lake he proceded to blah blah blah grizzly bear blah blah."

Soooo.....Uncle Doug..... about those jumpseat privleges.....
grin.gif

Back