white coat hypertension

eric6887

I've wanted to be a commercial pilot for a long time, but now I'm thinking about becoming an ATC first then maybe becoming a pilot down the road. I'm just a little worried about the company physical because I have 'white coat hypertension.' I took a class I medical before and was pretty nervous. My bp reading was around 150 the first time the doc took it then it went down to 142 when he took it again. I read somewhere though that ATC standards require your bp to be below 140. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I would buy your own blood pressure reader off ebay and start taking your BP regularly - this should ease the stress in the doctors office.

You may have aproblem. They will ask you to get serieal blood pressure readings to see if it is consistently elevated.

Also learn some self-relaxation techniques.

Alright so I'm thinking about maybe going through the CTI program in college. Would you say this is enough of a concern where I should consider majoring in something else in case I get denied?

Track your blood pressure for a while when NOT at the doctor's office. If it's still high, you'll either have to make a lifestyle change or get on meds. If it's normal, you've got white coat hypertension.

I've got it bad, actually, but like Dr Forred said, self relaxation techniques help a lot. The way your BP is supposed to be accurately taken and the way it's taken in most offices are not the same. You're not supposed to have your BP taken after being rushed into a room, sat in an upright seat and then go for it. It's not the most accurate way to read BP, but it's the most time effective. I've gotten into meditation and yoga, and that's helped my BP a LOT. I'll do yoga in the mornings before I go in for a medical, and I'll do mediatation techniques in the car or in the waiting room. I haven't had an issue the past 3 times I've gone.

I have normal bp. My mom actually bought me my own reader, and I've taken it a few times and it was fine.

I have normal bp. My mom actually bought me my own reader, and I've taken it a few times and it was fine.

You're fine and acually i have the same problem. Everytime i walk into ame's office the whole world crashes down on me and he knows about it and there is nothing i or he can do to cure this. Just deal with it no matter how many times you take your pressure in private the minute you set a foot in doc's office your problem which really isn't a problem will come back. MY DAD ONCE TOLD ME THAT MY BIGGEST ENEMY IS MY OWN MIND.:dunno:

I had the same thing at a regular doctor's visit and they told me to buy a home blood pressure meter and take readings and record them to bring back in. All of the readings taken at home were normal, but when I brought it back they basically said "well, those aren't really accurate." :rolleyes:

I had the same thing at a regular doctor's visit and they told me to buy a home blood pressure meter and take readings and record them to bring back in. All of the readings taken at home were normal, but when I brought it back they basically said "well, those aren't really accurate." :rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

I had the doc say the same thing to me.....

Back