Which region of the US does not have very expensive rates?

ahmed

Hi

What states traditionally have a lower cost for renting airplanes and instruction? For example, in Kansas there are places where you can get your PPL for around $6,000 dollars while most FBO's up here in the Northeast ask for around $10,000. I was looking at South Dakota State University because they were pretty inexpensive ($40,000 for PPL - CFI) and their out-of-state tuition was less than instate tuition at some schools here in NY.

I think I would rather major in meteorology because that really interests me and then just go to a FBO or minor in professional pilot.

Re: Which region of the US does not have very expensive rate

Hi

What states traditionally have a lower cost for renting airplanes and instruction? For example, in Kansas there are places where you can get your PPL for around $6,000 dollars while most FBO's up here in the Northeast ask for around $10,000. I was looking at South Dakota State University because they were pretty inexpensive ($40,000 for PPL - CFI) and their out-of-state tuition was less than instate tuition at some schools here in NY.

I think I would rather major in meteorology because that really interests me and then just go to a FBO or minor in professional pilot.

Don't come to UAA, if you want a degree University of Alaska Anchorage will gouge the #### out of you.

The local FBOs are fairly expensive too. Try some place in the midwest, they seem to be cheap

Here in the southeast, at least at the school I work at, we rent a C172 for 109 and the DA20 for 110, then the instructor is 45. Those prices are wet.

I have heard that the southeast has the best rates.
Stay away from Hawaii LOL :)

In San Antonio there is a school that rents C-152s for $66/hr and instructor for 35.

Here in Bozeman they rent DA-20's for $109-130 (depends on which one), DA-40's for $159-179 (again depends which one) and the DA-42 $Twinstar for 375 an hour. Instruction is 45 an hour

Personally if i had to do it all over again i would of bought a plane like a C150 and charged my self to fly it. You would have to worry about Maintenance, insurance, and gas but at least you would have some thing of value to sell when your through with all your ratings not just a logbook full of endorsements. Also you could lease it back to the flightschool to cover some of your costs. I thought about it at my flight school but a new DA-20 was a little on the steep side.

Good luck and may your wallet be with you...always

Here in Bozeman they rent DA-20's for $109-130 (depends on which one), DA-40's for $159-179 (again depends which one) and the DA-42 $Twinstar for 375 an hour. Instruction is 45 an hour

Personally if i had to do it all over again i would of bought a plane like a C150 and charged my self to fly it. You would have to worry about Maintenance, insurance, and gas but at least you would have some thing of value to sell when your through with all your ratings not just a logbook full of endorsements. Also you could lease it back to the flightschool to cover some of your costs. I thought about it at my flight school but a new DA-20 was a little on the steep side.

Here it's $160 wet for a C172 with nothing in it! Hah, I'd love to buy my own plane but I'll be a poor college student when I'm going through training. :D

Midwest by far.

$60-$80 wet for 152
$80-100 wet for C172

I was paying $100 for a C172SP with a NICE big GPS screen

Piper Lance PA32-300 for $145/wet

Wow I didn't realize it was that expensive now. In 2002 I was paying 72/hr for a DA-20 and the only time I payed up to 135/hr was for a Cessna 310.

Midwest by far.
borat_not.jpg

Haha, Where the hell are you flying? im paying 105 an hour (not really, cause i work at the flight school) for a ####tay 172M... to get the niz 172SP with the G1000 is 151.... hahah

fill me in!

The midwest generally has best rates IMO. When I was in MT I payed around 110/hr for 172 and instructor... Really just depends where you go. You can find good deals almost everywhere I think.

borat_not.jpg

Haha, Where the hell are you flying? im paying 105 an hour (not really, cause i work at the flight school) for a ####tay 172M... to get the niz 172SP with the G1000 is 151.... hahah

fill me in!

Illinois isn't really the MW, it's wanna be NE. I guess i should have said great plains so probably MS, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE.

I have access to a GPS equipped 152 for $60 hour, a loaded NICE 172 for $80. 180hp 172 with nice GPS for $90, and the SP I mentioned above at $100.

Ask Frog_Flyer for the rates he's getting :)

Illinois isn't really the MW, it's wanna be NE. I guess i should have said great plains so probably MS, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE.

I have access to a GPS equipped 152 for $60 hour, a loaded NICE 172 for $80. 180hp 172 with nice GPS for $90, and the SP I mentioned above at $100.

Ask Frog_Flyer for the rates he's getting :)

haha, that's just not fair!

Go to OU. #1 meteorology school in the world. Norman, the nation's severe and unusual weather home. Take classes in the same building as the Storm Prediction Center (responsible for all watches posted in the U.S.) and the Norman National Weather Center. Go storms chasing with the experts. And then get your license and maybe even minor as a pilot with OU's aviation department.

Go to OU. #1 meteorology school in the world. Norman, the nation's severe and unusual weather home. Take classes in the same building as the Storm Prediction Center (responsible for all watches posted in the U.S.) and the Norman National Weather Center. Go storms chasing with the experts. And then get your license and maybe even minor as a pilot with OU's aviation department.

Thanks alot for the information. I'll look into it for sure.

Ask Frog_Flyer for the rates he's getting

Jeez...! Where in Idaho do you live??

Go to OU.
its a good school, most of the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. As far as rates go...last semester it was 110 an hr wet with an instructor for an 05 cherokee 161...they all have a garmin 430 GPS as well....GREAT price for what youre flying

Midwest/Midsouth/Southeast. Basically the more New York/LA Hebrew Highway Pedestrians make fun of a place, the cheaper it is to fly.

At the school I rent from, it is $99-147 for a 172 (including an RG), $195 :eek: for a 182, and the Grumman Tiger is $105. Instructors are either $45/hr or $60/hr for the chief instructors.

The low end 172 rate isn't much more than what I paid in 2001-2002, which was about $80/hr and most of it is probably the increase in avgas and insurance. IIRC, you could still buy avgas for just a bit over $2/gallon then, now it is in the high $4 range. I remember paying in the $50/hr range for a 150 wet. Now it is hard to even find one to rent and the lone one I could find is $85/hr!!!

There's no such thing as cheap anymore.

Even flying clubs are charging around $100 for a non GPS equipped 172. That's wet, and based on tach time. But then you throw in an instructor for $40 a hour and it gets real expensive real fast.

I'm thinking that a flat rate place may be the best way to go.

Red states are cheaper than blue states.

It's a conspiracy I say!

Back