Which hospital systems have their own 135 certificate?

They used to be very common. AirEvac in PHX used to be known as Samaritan AirEvac, as it was owned by Samaritan healthcare and at one time was the busiest hospital-based EMS operation in the U.S. and using 4 MBB BK-117s....great helos for EMS.

Before Samaritan divested it, and it was sold to PHI. They started in 1969 with FW only, using 2 Cessna 402s, later 414s, and even later 441s. With the FW being contracted by Sawyer Aviation at PHX.

Added their first helo in 1979, an SA316B, and later an A109 and AS355, before replacing them with 2 AS350B helos. And kept expanding from there to the largest in the nation in the 1980s and 1990s.

Last edited:
I’ll have to ask around next time I’m at work, but AFAIK they’re very rare.
I know. Intermountain Medical Center in Utah has their own. They are the only one that I know for sure. They have 7 helos (A109 K2s and Agusta Grands) and 2 King Air 200s and a CJ4.

St Alphonsus in Boise, ID does not have their own 135 certificate, but they are part owners of Life Flight Network which is a 135. Benefits are pretty awesome.

Sanford runs King Air 200's with 2 pilot crews. Operations are conducted under Part 135. What about Life Flight Network? Aren't they owned by the hospital in Spokane?

There’s another hospital system in the Dakotas besides Sanford with their own King Airs I believe.MMayo Clinic has two KA350s though their pilot pay is pretty embarrassing. Texas Children’s has or had a old Citation of some sort.

I think most have gone to using Methods or similar for the expertise/cost benefits/backup aircraft.

Sanford runs King Air 200's with 2 pilot crews. Operations are conducted under Part 135. What about Life Flight Network? Aren't they owned by the hospital in Spokane?

From what I understand they are owned by a consortium of hospitals in the NW. Currently OHSU, Legacy Health, Providence Health and Services, and St Alphonsus. They have 29 helicopters(21 Leonardo AW119Kx Koalas, 7 Airbus EC135s, and one Leonardo AW109E), 8 Pilatus PC12 NG, and one CJ4. They are the largest not for profit Air Ambulance company in the US.

Last edited:
There’s another hospital system in the Dakotas besides Sanford with their own King Airs I believe.MMayo Clinic has two KA350s though their pilot pay is pretty embarrassing. Texas Children’s has or had a old Citation of some sort.

I think most have gone to using Methods or similar for the expertise/cost benefits/backup aircraft.
Avera

Back