Which airport would be better for initial training?

G

I have two local airports in which I am considering taking flight lessons at. One of them is Pompano Airparl (KPMP) and the other is Boca Airport (KBCT). KPMP has more small aircraft traffic and has multiple runways. KBCT has more corporate as well as other kinds of ga traffic but only has one runway. Considering the futurand how I will work usually in airports with multiple runways, which one would you recommend?

The airport will not matter much. Access to a good instructor and a reliable aircraft are more important in my opinion. You can fly over to other airports as often as you want. If you can get good instruction at both locations then take the one that is closer or that has a more open schedule so that you can train more frequently. I have flown into both of those airports and either one would be fine.

There are actually piston-driven aircraft at Boca?
smile.gif

Either place is OK, and I agree that a good instructor and access to a plane is far more important. Especially for the private rating, get a good CFI wherever they may be.

Whichever one is cheaper and has better availability with their instructors.

What these guys said is spot-on. Select the airport with good availability of aircraft and instructors, reasonable rates on rental and instruction, and a reputable flight school. During the course of your training, you'll fly to many different airports and get exposure to a lot of different types of places, from small, non-towered airports, to places like PBI and FLL. When I was instructing, I always exposed my primary students to grass fields and Class B airports as well ... but that was my choice and not a requirement to obtain your private certificate.

Good luck in your training; you'll really enjoy it!

Russ

The only other thing I would consider is to do your IR at an airport with all the approaches you need. I wish I'd done this, it would have saved me a bunch of time flying 35 miles down the way each day to do an ILS or fly a hold.

That is a good point. In this specific case it should not matter that much. Both airports are close to many other airports and plenty of approaches to chose from.

airports don't make you a better pilot. Your studying and your CFI do. I'll echo what everyone else has said. You'll get plenty of opurtunities to play at big airports before long. Just choose the right instructor, and a school with good mx.

I agree with everyone else. It's not the airport, but the price and the instructor that matters. It's hard to say what kind of school it is from the website. You first choice should be to go 61 or 141. I would recommend 61 if you aren't getting any VA benefits or any other type of financial aid based on a part 141 program. Part 61 would let you go more at your own pace, and you will be able to avoid unecessary stagechecks and expensive ground schools.

[ QUOTE ]
Part 61 would let you go more at your own pace, and you will be able to avoid unecessary stagechecks and expensive ground schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up!

Back