Which aircraft would you choose?

I pick up a nicely equiped, later model Aztec (about $150k range) and keep the rest for operating expenses, insurance and overhauls.

Or, buy a nice, used 172 for about $50k, sink $100k into upgrades and keep the rest for operating expenses.

While new aircraft are pretty spiffy there is no reason whatsoever to justify (I'm speaking "morally" here .. I know exactly why they cost that much) a 1/4 million dollars for a four-place, 160HP basic-trainer aircraft. It's ridiculous. Especially when they are the exact same aircraft as the used models and you can pick up the used models for almost 1/10th of what the new ones go for.

No matter what I'd buy a little less aircraft and use the balance for expenses. Anyone can buy an aircraft - the expensive part is operation and maintenance!

Hehe.. I'm with Ian... But a little different...

Buy the house, then take out a home equity loan and buy the plane!

Anyway, I'd never buy a "new" airplane. Why in the name of God would you want to pay $250,000 for an Archer when that same money can get you one of These!

Paul

I'd get a well-equipped later model Piper Navajo Cheiftain. All the pax/luggage space you could want/need for the $$ and a decent range (albeit not the longest or fastest). I just like `em.

Hmm... I'm primarily stuck flying both a 2000 172SP and a 2001 Archer III these days and both are valid reasons for moving into heavy drugs or glue sniffing. I can't think of any reason to fly either aircraft for anything other than flight training. For that kind of money you could buy a nice use aircraft (Bonanza, Mooney, & Saratoga come to mind) with something under the hood worth flying.

Though if you like living on the edge both the 172SP and Archer III offer an excellent chance of putting you to sleep in flight!

Trojans_shdw.jpg

Well, some of the 'wiser' captains always say; "If it flies, floats, or 'fornicates', it's always cheaper to rent!"

[ QUOTE ]
You rent your pets Doug?

[/ QUOTE ]

You made me spit water all over my laptop...note to self...don't drink water while reading JC forums....

Like the posters above I strongly recommend buying used. While the new planes are nice they will depreciate much more rapidly than used. Also, your insurance premium would be higher as would your tax bill. Moreover, many of the older planes have better performance numbers. If you do buy used try and find one with the equipment you want already installed as upgrading can be a major cost. Might as well do that on someone elses dollar. Since you're comparing the Cessna and Piper, why not throw in the Tiger too?

Cheers,
TigerFlyer

I'm with pilot602 on this one, you can't beat a nice turbo charged Aztec. I mean think of what you get. You could, for not too much money for what you're getting, have a twin that can do 200 knots, top the moutains in the west, have de-icing boots and radar. How in the heck do you beat that? At the same time you can put almost anything in there that you can shut the doors on.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I'm kinda in a place where I don't really like old planes simply because I've had some bad experiences with some of them at my flight school. Everything from doors that will not latch, instruments not working to seats that are stuck. That is, not to say that all older aircraft are terrible, for I really like the V-tail Bonanza's and some of the more aged Piper aircraft.

[ QUOTE ]
. You could, for not too much money for what you're getting, have a twin that can do 200 knots, top the moutains in the west, have de-icing boots and radar. How in the heck do you beat that? At the same time you can put almost anything in there that you can shut the doors on.

Cheers
John Herreshoff

[/ QUOTE ]

You're describing the Piper PA-31 Chieftain series to a T

I'm kinda in a place where I don't really like old planes simply because I've had some bad experiences with some of them at my flight school. Everything from doors that will not latch, instruments not working to seats that are stuck. That is, not to say that all older aircraft are terrible, for I really like the V-tail Bonanza's and some of the more aged Piper aircraft.
---------------------------

You're describing most of the older rental fleet. Many of the personally owned aircraft for sale are much nicer than rentals. Take a look around. You'll be suprised by some of the aircraft available.

Speaking of old planes, I'd have to go with a DC-3. Go anywhere, haul anything, and look good doing it. Of course, It'd have to have olive drab paint and invasion stripes, ala C-47 Skytrains.
laugh.gif

Back