Where to stay/How to get around in Detroit

N826AW

Off-Duty Cop
I'm heading to Detroit this weekend. The plan is to arrive Saturday at 130am and spend the night in the Four Points at the Airport then head into downtown on Saturday morning to check out the auto show.

For Saturday night I'm trying to decide between two scenarios:

1.) Take up Hotwire.com on their $69 room rate for a 4-star hotel in Downtown Detroit. My questions is, how hard is it to get from DTW to downtown without blowing $100 on cabs. I see there's a bus #125 that runs from the airport into the city but I want to avoid running into any Eminem wannabes that wanna stick me for my paper. Are there any SuperShuttle-esqe services that can get me into town?

2.) Rent a car and drive into downtown, then drive back at the end of the day and spend Sat night at the Four Points again. This sounds boring. But I can use Starwood points for both nights and only pay for the car.

I'd like to checkout Greektown and the Detroit Brewing Co. and not have to worry about driving that night so I am leaning towards staying in Downtown. But I would need to get around the whole cab issue as I'm trying to keep the $$ under control.

Thoughts... Suggestions...

Seriously. Went there for the Short Train wedding last year and sadly, a gat would have been apropos. Sitting in the hotel lobby with Kristie, Seggy and Floyd with some 40's and a bag of popcorn and no one batted an eye.

I do actually recommend the Four Points, though. That's where I always stayed for a crashpad hotel, and it was great. Flat panel TVs, 1-2-3 rule in the bar (just tell them you're with the SWA crew ;) ), airline rate, etc...

Crazy

N826AW -

I'm in Detroit right now. It's 9 degrees. Are you sure you want to leave Arizona for that just for some cars?

Seriously. Went there for the Short Train wedding last year and sadly, a gat would have been apropos. Sitting in the hotel lobby with Kristie, Seggy and Floyd with some 40's and a bag of popcorn and no one batted an eye.

What hotel did you stay in?

Back