Where to start?

zimmerbz

For as long as I can remember, being a pilot has been my calling. That is all I have ever wanted to do. When I was planning to go to college, I took a baseball scholarship instead of going to a school where I can learn to fly. With that being said having not studied aviation in college, I figured my road to becoming a commercial pilot was down the drain. Yet after reading posts and reading the site, I realized there are ways to becoming a commercial pilot other than studying aviation in college. I am about to start my first job in Chicago for a sales company and I am going to live at home. What I want to know is; since I am living at home and pretty much pocketing all of my money that I will make, can I start my dream of becoming a commercial pilot? and if so, where? My plan is to get as much flight training as possible on the weekends while living at home, so by the time I am ready, I can switch careers and become a pilot. This leads me to my next question....is this possible and if so, is there a high success rate? I have the burning desire to become a pilot, so I will do anything. What do you all think? I'm not sure of what the paths are to becoming a commercial pilot, maybe I missed it on the site, if i did can somone fill me in? Thanks, I look forward to hearing replies, even if they are not hopeful news. Thanks
Brad

I'm sure someone here can help you. But if you want something bad enough you will get it.

"Commit to the lord whatever you do, and your PLANS will succeed."

I wish you luck and hope to see you in the skies if I make it as well.

First of all, it is good to see that you are interested in becoming a professional pilot and welcome to Jetcareers.

If you want to learn about flying, go to your local FBO and take an intro flight to see if you even like it. If you like it, work out a game plan that will get you to your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
This leads me to my next question....is this possible and if so, is there a high success rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this can only determined by you.

I guess my advice to you is save your money and fly as much as possible. The better you do this, the faster you will achieve your dream.

My flight instructor is in his early 40's, the chief pilot at a surveying and engineering firm, and has probably close to 2000 multi hours... he's set.... and he started flying four years ago! There's always a way where there's a will, have at it... you've already got the college degree part out of the way.

Nobody should mislead you, there is low sucess rate. However, the way you are going about this is excellent. I would never recommend studying aviation in college, or taking a huge amount of debt. The way you are going you will have a backup career and a way to pay for your training without taking out a 50K loan.

Zim,
I also took the baseball scholarship instead of going to a school where I could fly, and it is the best decision I've made. Now I have the non-aviation degree and I'm starting ATP on March 1 to focus on learning to fly full time. If you are focused on flying it shouldn't matter when you start as long as you stay commited to your goal.

Smokey

Dude...you have no debt, a college degree, and a job. What's wrong with this picture? I think you could well be ahead of some who majored in aviation. You now need to go out and get your ratings and flying experience. You can do that at any mom or pop flight school...find one that fit's your personality and goals. I don't think the success rate in aviation is low...you have to have persistence. Not one personal friend I have who learned to fly in the 90's has dropped out and most are regional Capts now. Times are bad now, but there is no reason to think things won't turn around to some degree in the future.

Hey Bard,

What part of Chicago are you located in? I'm close to ORD and DPA.

Do you have any Flights Schools in mind? Part 141 or 61?

Im close to DPA and ORD. I live in the Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills Area. I have no idea about flight schools, so if you know of any, let me know so I can look into them. And thanks to everyone for the words of wisdom. I appreciate it!
Brad

Back