Where to start?

Will3506

I am a 22 year old college student, set to graduate May of 2014. I was originally going to graduate this May, but because of athletics I am going to stay one more year, and play out my eligibility. I have wanted to be a pilot my whole life, more so in the last couple years. My school does not offer have any sort of aviation degree nor flight school. Where would be the best way to start my schooling? Flight school? Flight academy? How would you approach it if you were in my shoes?
Thanks!

I am a 22 year old college student, set to graduate May of 2014. I was originally going to graduate this May, but because of athletics I am going to stay one more year, and play out my eligibility. I have wanted to be a pilot my whole life, more so in the last couple years. My school does not offer have any sort of aviation degree nor flight school. Where would be the best way to start my schooling? Flight school? Flight academy? How would you approach it if you were in my shoes?
Thanks!

Take a couple of lessons at the local airport and see if you like it ?

drunkenbeagle said:
Take a couple of lessons at the local airport and see if you like it ?

You're having a Labor Day party, get off the inter-webs!

Sorry I couldn't make it either....

Finish up your studies at college in a degree that's not too aviation specific unless you're super die hard about it. In the meantime, go take a couple lessons, and if you have the means, get your license. Try to get a jerb after college (it's super hard so don't give up) and work on your ratings on the side if you have the means. Don't get up to your eyeballs in debt, though. Fast track programs are decent from what I've heard; however, you might retain more if you learn at a slower pace.

I had this same situation. I played out my last year, got a job at a bar, flew and lived in a cheap garageroom. I got my ppl and ifr ticket. I then went to a bigger school for the rest. Saved a ton of money, meet drunk girls and enjoyed the experience. I would keep it as cheap as possible.

I second drunkenbeagle's advice. Take a couple of lessons at your local airport to see if it's everything you thought it would be. If it is, go to a flight surgeon and make sure you can pass a first class flight physical. If you can, figure out the best way to finance your flight training, tie an airplane to your butt, and don't look back!

Back