where to go for initial CFI & II

ghoster

Onward Thru the Fog
Would like to add a CFI & II using a quick and structured program. I am not getting a good feeling from some of the FBOs who cannot lay out a training program but rather just say we will work it out.
I am in the San Antonio area and would like to find a program that I could get in and out of quickly. I know about American Flyers and that is an option but would like to do it quicker by going full out and get it done.
Reason I want to go quick is that I have a full time job (non-avation) but could take a few weeks off if I could find right program.
all help would be appreciated:panic:

I am in the same boat as you and would like to hear what other people have to say. I have been looking at ATP for their 14 day CFI program.

I called ATP today and they dont have just a CFI&II, they add in the MEI which jacks the cost up to 7 grand. I dont want or need the MEI and they dont have the ability to do just that program.

The ATP program is essentialy just checkride prep is it not? It looks like you have to have all your writtens done and be right-seat proficient in all the maneuvers beforehand.

Since you have to do all the self-study before you even get there wouldn't you almost be ready for your checkrides at your local FBO anyway? Am I missing something here?

It's kind of hard to justify spending all that money when it looks like the course is just a refresher of everything you should have already learned by the time you get there.

You should call and ask, pretty sure the writtens are required prior to training.

A majority of the CFI is writing up lesson plans, and practicing teaching. It is alot tougher than it sounds.

I recommend ATP.

The thing about ATP compared to an FBO is that MOST FBO style flight schools are not familiar with getting people prepped and ready for their CFI initial. Most FBO CFIs have probably never signed off someone to take their CFI initial and probably dont have the gouge and information needed and ready in a short amount of time. With ATP you'll be going to a place where they know what to expect from the DEs/FAA. They know what you need to know, and they force you to get it. No more procrastinating, and saying "Ill just put it off for another few weeks while I study." Its "Your CFI initial is in 9 days, sit through this ground school, take it all in, be ready."

They do require you to have the CFI pre-test complete, have all your writtens done, and you should be commercially proficient in the maneuvers from the right seat.

There are quite a few guys on here that have gone through the CFI only program and who have been succesful.

This has to be one of the only programs I recommend anymore from ATP. I was an ACPP student, and currently tell any friends who want to get all of their ratings, I say PPL - COMM/SE go to your local FBO and do it in the cheapest thing you can find. Go to ATP and get your COMM/ME and MEI/CFI/II.

I met a guy who did his cfi/cfii/mei at ATP. I guess there were 13 guys in his class and only 3 made it through. Could be true, might not be. That is ALOT of information in 9 days. Def go knowing your stuff and be proficient. Like someone said before, if you are already proficient why not stay at a local FBO?

I met a guy who did his cfi/cfii/mei at ATP. I guess there were 13 guys in his class and only 3 made it through. Could be true, might not be. That is ALOT of information in 9 days. Def go knowing your stuff and be proficient. Like someone said before, if you are already proficient why not stay at a local FBO?

When I went through CFI school in Vegas, the previous class had about a 50% completion rate. My class had 100% and so did the class after mine.

I recommend ATP.

The thing about ATP compared to an FBO is that MOST FBO style flight schools are not familiar with getting people prepped and ready for their CFI initial. Most FBO CFIs have probably never signed off someone to take their CFI initial and probably dont have the gouge and information needed and ready in a short amount of time.

Or who don't even have the two years of experience required to sign off a CFI. Unless you go to a more expensive FBO.

Also, a FBO CFI is more likely to view you as future competition and either bleed a few extra hours out of you or passively-aggressively throw up some obstacles. An accelerated program might not be perfect, but it will get you done.

Would like to add a CFI & II using a quick and structured program. I am not getting a good feeling from some of the FBOs who cannot lay out a training program but rather just say we will work it out.
I am in the San Antonio area and would like to find a program that I could get in and out of quickly. I know about American Flyers and that is an option but would like to do it quicker by going full out and get it done.
Reason I want to go quick is that I have a full time job (non-avation) but could take a few weeks off if I could find right program.
all help would be appreciated:panic:

I'm planning on doing the 30 CFI Academy in Dallas, they also have a location at DWH if you can get over to Houston for a month. http://www.americanflyers.net/flightinstructor/default.htm Seems pretty good value and is well regarded.

I have seen that too about American Flyers, I dont know of anyone though who ha taken that course, but sure would like to find out what they thought about it

Talk to Mooneyguy about the CPS program. He is actually down in San Antonio teaching at a school down there.

Michael

I recommend ATP.

The thing about ATP compared to an FBO is that MOST FBO style flight schools are not familiar with getting people prepped and ready for their CFI initial. Most FBO CFIs have probably never signed off someone to take their CFI initial and probably dont have the gouge and information needed and ready in a short amount of time.
MOST FBOs do have a CFI that can sign off a CFI candidate.
Your are right about MOST CFIs never signing off a CFI Candidate because most don't stay in the game for two years.

Or who don't even have the two years of experience required to sign off a CFI. Unless you go to a more expensive FBO.

Also, a FBO CFI is more likely to view you as future competition and either bleed a few extra hours out of you or passively-aggressively throw up some obstacles. An accelerated program might not be perfect, but it will get you done.

Well that is dead wrong and insulting.

I didn't like ATP and no, the one instructor at that site could not sign of CFIs.
I went there with a Commercial ASEL and CFI-A, in attempt to acquire, Commercial AMEL and CFII and MEI. I did all my prior training at a University/FBO. I know what good training is and I want MORE than what is required to pass skim by a check ride. My CFI was way too busy daydreaming and talking about his hopes to sling gear at colgan; the training I received was bare bones minimums, expensive and after my Com. AMEL check ride, I got a refund for the II and MEI and went back to my own pace.
Do what you want. Accelerate if it is the best way for you to learn. IF not, stay clear. :bandit:
You will be paid peanuts and live the dream soon enough.

Contrary to what some here are saying, most FBOs have at least one or two CFIs who can sign-off initials and who typically are more than happy to train you. While it varies from place-to-place, FBOs often have a career instructor or retired airline captain with a wealth of experience from which to teach.

The main concern with training at your local FBO--as opposed to an academy/ATP--is aircraft availability. Complex singles are getting rarer and many places only have one on the line. It's no fun when your only training aircraft goes down for major maintenance in the middle of your course.

I'm at Wright Flyers in San Antonio taking the CFI there. It's not the quickest program, the nicest planes, or the cheapest, but it'll get the job done. And I am extremely happy with the quality of the instruction, which means a lot to me.

I'll probably also do the CFII there as well from the look of it since I am enjoying the program and the quality of instruction.

But I will most likely need a place to get the MEI alone. Let me know what you find for a place to get he MEI. Ideally I'd love to do it in San Antonio since that way I'm not on a timeframe. But if no one here has a good program set up for the MEI, let me know what is out there in regards to a accelerated MEI program since it's outside San Antonio it'll have to be a program I can complete in 3-7 days if I come full prepared.

PS - Since I know someone will ask. Why not Wright Flyers for the MEI as well? I would love to do it there, but in order to do this it requires a reliable working multi-engine aircraft. At the moment, there is not one of those here. Fingers crossed that changes though in the next couple months since then that solves my dilemma.

I didnt say anywhere in my post above that FBOs dont have someone able to sign off a CFI candidate. I said that most FBOs are not prepared for a CFI initial candidate.

In my opinion, I learned more when teaching than I could have ever learned reading books and going up and "practicing."

To Douglas, it sounds like you went to an ATP location that was small and only had 1 CFI. If you would have gone to take your CFI you would have had to go to another location with more experienced CFIs. But hey, you did get your CMEL right?

But hey, you did get your CMEL right?

I did after I busted the first check ride. The ride long the examiner was sitting there saying things like, "I hate how ATP teaches this", "Don't do it like that", "Let me show you how to do it".

After an hour of that, Pink slip. On the ground I asked him to go back up with me in two hours after I get one hour in with the ATP instructor and get signed off again. I went up and did everything just like he said to do it from the failed check ride. So, you can understand how I got a refund the next day.

I do believe that schools can only go as far as materials, the CFI key to what really makes a good program. You can find those good CFIs at any airport, cheap, expensive, company or freelance.

Back