Where to go for an altitude chamber?

There's one in Colorado Springs, CO on Peterson AFB that I've been to. I dunno if you consider that the southwest or not.

There is a place in Melbourne, FL called the Southern Aeromedical Institute (SAMI). Although they are not in the southwest like you asked. This place is top notch and I would recommend them to anybody. Great place, and an excellent doctor as well. http://www.sami-aeromedical.com/

I thought it was open to the public.......you may see if anyone of the IWA guys on here can tell you any better.

I know westwind up at DVT was including a trip down to that thing with their program, but I don't remember if it was the ASU one or if there was another one there too. Wish I could help more, but I'm sure someone on field has the answer!

I found this awhile back (2004), I haven't been able to find a more updated list.

The FAA and the U.S. Air Force have a joint training agreement to offer high-altitude, hypobaric chamber training to civilians for a nominal $35.00 fee. Applicants should contact FAA Aeromedical Education Division (AAM-400), Airman Education Programs, Civil Aeromedical Institute, Oklahoma City, Okla. at (405) 954-4837 to schedule training sessions at any of the following facilities:
Beale AFB, Marysville, Calif.
Brooks AFB, San Antonio, Texas
Columbus AFB, Columbus, Mich.
Fairchild AFB, Spokane, Wash.
Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, N.M
Langley AFB, Norfolk, Va.
Laughlin AFB, Del Rio, Texas
Little Rock AFB, Little Rock, Ark.
Mike Monroney Aeronautical Ctr., Okla.
Offutt AFB, Omaha, Neb.
Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Randolph AFB, San Antonio, Texas
Shaw AFB, Columbus, S.C.
Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls, Texas
Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Fla.
Vance AFB, Enid, Okla.
Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio

Applicants should contact FAA Aeromedical Education Division (AAM-400), Airman Education Programs, Civil Aeromedical Institute, Oklahoma City, Okla. at (405) 954-4837 to schedule training sessions at any of the following facilities:
Beale AFB, Marysville, Calif.

That's the one to go to. It's staffed by an AF aeromedical team that does medical support for the folks that fly U2's. Needless to say, they know their stuff.

I will submit, that it is an incredible experience. It truly opens your eyes to the environment we operate in, and the effect it has on you.

If you can get to one, do it....

I will submit, that it is an incredible experience. It truly opens your eyes to the environment we operate in, and the effect it has on you.

If you can get to one, do it....

Totally! A few months after I took it, I was observing a XC (a friend and his instructor), long story short they went up to almost 14,000 feet...at night I might add; I immediately felt the effects of hypoxia and we descended back down after that. Only regret I have is not speaking up earlier, even though I was just watching from the back I should have still said something earlier.

Felt pretty good at the time but when you think back to the chamber flight it makes the hair on your neck stand up; considering how dangerous of a situation that was.

What you don't know can kill you.

I've been through a military chamber 4 times. Here's my advice to anyone attending this type of training:

The first time I went, I was just worried about "passing" the thing. I had visions of An Officer and a Gentleman floating through my head, so I put my mask back on at the first opportunity. I didn't realize it wasn't a graded event. Each time I've gone back, I explored the effects of hypoxia further and further.

Depending on the type of ride, the chamber will go to somewhere between 18,000 - 25,000 ft (in my experience). Once the chamber reaches the target altitude, you'll be asked to remove your O2 mask and do a variety of motor skills exercises. The instructions you generally receive are to go back on oxygen at the first signs of hypoxia. I disagree. I think you should stay off O2 and explore the effects hypoxia has on you so you have a better understanding of what to expect in a real situation. There are folks in the chamber who will attend to you if you need, and it's a controlled environment; so use it to your advantage.

The last time I went through the chamber the operator had us all describe the effects we experienced and asked us if they were the same or different as before. (We were all there for recurrent training.) To a man, everyone said the effects were the same as the ones they had experienced before. The instructor said that was the case in the majority of people. (Something like 90%, but I don't remember for sure.) There's a list of effects you might experience, but people tend to exhibit the same set of effects when they get hypoxia. Use the chamber as an opportunity to develop your symptoms so you can better recognize them if it happens for real.

Just my 2 yen.

Very interesting.

I've always been very curious about how I'd react in a hypoxia situation.

When I was teaching in the training department, we used to show an old RAF video of a poor chap in a chamber.... and how he reacted. They had him doing written exercises, and other simple things. It was astounding to see how fast his capacities degraded. By the time he was ordered to re-mask he was leaning up against one of the walls unable to do pretty much anything.

I'm due for a chamber ride later this year. I don't think I've ever really experienced any effects from hypoxia except for maybe a very slight sense of euphoria (about the same kind I get when I'm tired at the end of a long duty day). Last time I went in I was just a butter bar so I drank the koolaid, so to speak, and put the mask back on too quickly I think. Next time I'm going to wait until I experience a couple more symptoms to really get a feel for when hypoxia is happening.

is the one at Williams accessible to a civilian pilot?

It's run by ASU. I went through it, as do all the students in the flight program at ASU. I know that they also work with third party contracts, but I'm not sure if it's ever open to the general public. If you're really interested in that one, shoot me a PM and I'll get the contact info for the guy who runs it to ya.

I'm due for a chamber ride later this year. I don't think I've ever really experienced any effects from hypoxia except for maybe a very slight sense of euphoria (about the same kind I get when I'm tired at the end of a long duty day). Last time I went in I was just a butter bar so I drank the koolaid, so to speak, and put the mask back on too quickly I think. Next time I'm going to wait until I experience a couple more symptoms to really get a feel for when hypoxia is happening.

Same here. After a long time, I barely felt anything. They said put it on when you first feel an indication. I was tired of the fart smell so finally I declared myself hypoxic and put it on.

But then again, that was towards the end of AOCS and had been swimming about a mile a day, running 7-11 miles a day, and doing lots of pushups. My 23 yr old cardiovascular system helped keep oxygen heading to the brain.

Theres one here in PHX, I think its at IWA.....

Yes, ASU has one and I have been through it. Quite fun. They have groups come through all the time. I was supposed to work it but there was a hiring freeze so that's on hod for now but i'll get a phone number for you.

Back