Where the heck are Doug and Kristie?

I found the British to be very polite when I was over there in November, but hey, Im going back soon... hopefully I won't be dissapointed.

Pictures!

Well Kristie mentioned that we haven't been anywhere interesting since the JC Las Vegas trip so we decided to go somewhere.

We haven't been to Belgium yet and the loads looked agreeable so we decided to take off after I got in from my last trip. My last leg was due to arrive at 1620 and there was a 1800 flight from ATL to Brussels, Belgium so it worked out quite nicely. Kind of weird running downstairs to the pilot lounge, throwing my stuff in the commuter room and putting on a sweater over my uniform pants in order to race over to the "E" concourse to check in for a flight! But it worked!

We left Thursday evening, arrived in BRU on Friday morning and departed sunday morning. A pretty quick trip.

Here are some pictures from the weekend: And I'm not going to give any historical perspective since it's just a short 'google' away:

Ahh, business elite cabin socks!
smile.gif

DSCN0008.jpg

"Mannekin Pis" - the most famous statue in Belgium.
DSCN0053.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what this guy's been staring at for the past 500 years...
DSCN0055.jpg

Train station at Brugge, Belgium -- the Venice of N. Europe:
DSCN4366.jpg

Rainy day in Brugge, but Kristie (jet lag free, BTW) is still having a good time:
DSCN4368.jpg

Another view of Brugge:
DSCN4394.jpg

Grand-Place in Brussels at night:
DSCN0001.jpg

Statue for something near Centraal Station:
DSCN0068.jpg

Ok, well, oh nevermind:
DSCN0020.jpg

A Belgian waffle. Holy crap, one of the top five tastiest snacks on EARTH:
DSCN0015.jpg

Mimes...
DSCN0037.jpg

More mimes...
DSCN0042.jpg

Park near the royal palace (or whtever it's called):
DSCN0063.jpg

Snowboarding in downtown Brussels (yup, you read that right!)
DSCN0001a.jpg

The beer ROCKS in Belgium!
DSCN0003.jpg

Gotta do the "standard"!
smile.gif

DSCN0045.jpg

Just before pushback in BRU enroute to ATL:
DSCN0005.jpg

Lunch over the Atlantic:
DSCN0049.jpg

Brussels is truly a tri-lingual city. You'd hear people speaking in French, but then they'd transition to Flemish (kind of Dutch, but sounds a lot like bad German) but then if they still had problems speaking, they'd transition to English. BRU is primarily French whereas everything is in Flemish if you travel out to Brugge.

People are extraordinarily nice and it feels like a very safe town. The food is phenomenal because it's a mixture of French in some parts and Flemish in the other parts. You MUST have a real Belgian waffle, they're tasty and tremendously addicting.

March is usually in the 40's and drizzly but there weren't an overabundance of tourists clogging the streets either.

Re: Pictures!

Another great incentive to become a pilot, you and your family get to fly around the world for a third of the cost.
grin.gif

Great pics
I hope I can do the same in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
Kristie enjoying a little Flemmish food in Brussels:

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesn't really seem to be enjoying the Flemish food; she looks like she is about to hurl...

That's a dish called "Stoemp".

That's Kristie's normal display of "#$*#ing Doug, put the camera away so I can eat, Mmkay?"
smile.gif

Awesome pictures. I would love to go to Belgium, it looks like a really neat place. Glad you both had a good time!

It's a place that sold "Australian Ice Cream" (whatever the heck that is) and kickass Belgian waffles.

Man o man, that's some good eating!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kristie enjoying a little Flemmish food in Brussels:

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesn't really seem to be enjoying the Flemish food; she looks like she is about to hurl...

[/ QUOTE ]uhh... yeah.. i had to have doug take that picture off....

Awesome pictures, glad you all had a good time!

I am off to Italy Friday, can't wait!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in Italy?

Doug what does it cost you to take these trips? It sounds like you take advantage of it whenever you can. Nice perk!!!

Well, the airfare costed $0, except for proably $40/head for taxes entering the US.

And our immigration people do their best to screw up my passport every time...GRRR... If they can't stamp it in the correct part, don't stamp it at all!

Yeah, I'm with you on that. On my passport, they stamped the exit part when I cleared customs here.

Hello, guys, I'm coming back to the US. Not leaving it!

0$? NO FEES? You didn't even pay the $14 customs fee? The TSA Security fee?

Wow things have improved at Delta.

In 2000 I jumpseated on Delta from Munich to JFK, it cost me $14 in Munich and customs charged me $7 in JFK. I was returning a day early from my sim training and it was well worth the $21 to get home early.

USAirways charged us small fees for international travel as well, something like $7/leg. Also, "Envoy" class was $75 upgrade (unless you were Must Ride, in which case they upgraded you if there were seats left.)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in Italy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Florence

I dunno, it might be $20 or so for immigration, but those aren't paid to Delta.

Back