Where should I start Four year with ratings, or flight school and college later?

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, Doug, thank you so much for running this site, thanks to your moderators for policing and ensuring quality, and thanks to the participates for contributing to the exchange of opinions and information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words!

I've got to keep a lot of fire extinguishers by the keyboard, but I've been blessed with a good clientele.

Sounds like what I have been telling myself (Get the degree) seems to be the right choice. There is no point in limiting yourself when it comes to your potential. I thoought about the military route, but due to age restrictions I.E. must have a commision by 29 I think which also means degree by or before 29; I would have to do some serious humpin and bumpin to even make that mark. I would have to lock myself in and not let me out untill I graduated, or let myself into the funny farm. By no means am I old, but I look back and wish I had started this a little earlier in my life. No regrets just leaves me with some different options.

I have talked to alot of pilots (Thanks Delta and Skywest @SLC) and the response I get is no matter what the training is Military, College, Flight School, now probably is not a bad time to start. Hopefully the nation will be in a better mood when we all get out of our training. Or I'll be the only Transmission Tech. with a college degree and flight ratings. Be like the rest of the world got a degree in one thing and working in a completely different field
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words!

I've got to keep a lot of fire extinguishers by the keyboard, but I've been blessed with a good clientele.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome.

I guess sometimes you probably feel more like a firemen than a pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Or I'll be the only Transmission Tech. with a college degree and flight ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could quote Shakespeare while giving a multi-engine instrument cross country lesson flying to a remote Indian reservation to fix their transmisssion. Now that's talent.

I was in much the same boat you are. I was was deciding between going to a flight academy or going to Mizzou
tongue.gif
. I chose Mizzou, my reasoning was I could pay a lot of money to get all my ratings and then get out with no degree and possibly no aviation job, effectively leaving me up shizzit creek. Owing a lot of money and having a job paying minimum wage just isn't something I care to risk. At least with a business degree I've got something to fall back if aviation falls through. I know way too many people who went to SLU and got their aviation degree and are now flipping burgers or pumping gas. The only thing they're degreed in is aviation now that they can't find an aviation job, they're screwed. Now don't get me wrong I'm not ragging on aviation degrees, but to me it seems they have a propensity for being useless in anything but aviation and with today's economy well.... What I plan on doing is going here for three more years, working, and training at the local FBO. I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for school so that helps out a lot.

BTW: Go to Kstate, Kansas sucks.

-tiger

I may be considering K-State, But I just Have to say GO HAWKS! Loyalties can be a pain in the butt. Good to hear from some people in the area.
laugh.gif

I don't see why you see this as an either/or. Comair has a plan which will let you get both at the same time. A good, either, aviation, or non-aviation degree and all of your ratings, done to the Comair Academy training standards. It's the best a person can ask for. If anyone knows how to make it better, let me know! I can pass it on, I used to work there before I got my 727 job, and I got my ratings there as well.

There is only one problem with the Comair Partnerships with colleges,that is do the out of state costs justify going there? I have no doubt that these are great programs with great records, but these would be best for florida residents. I do not know how long it takes to become a resident in florida,(it takes a year in Kansas) but to justify the extra costs does not seem practical. I am not trying to be cheap, nor go to the cheapest flight school but this is one hell of an expense that I'll be paying for some time. I just have to look at the progams at all angles and find one that meets in the middle. I cannot say that comair is out of the running for me, however I am really starting to lean towards K-State for my degree.

There is training available outside of Florida too. Right now it's also available in Boston Mass. at Bridgewater State College. I would guess on programs starting at other schools in other states in the future. Time will tell.

No matter where the program is, if you are not a resident of that particular state you pay out of state tuition. At some schools that can add a considerable amt of money. Like I said, I am not trying to be cheap. I am just looking for one on the middle ground of price, training, etc.. You have to feel good about where you spend your money.

I was told that the plan is to start one comair/university partnership every year. So there will be even more possibilities in the future!

I highly recommend getting your degree first, but if you choose the comair/college option. Just start on your flight training for the first year to obtain residency, and then start attending school. But then again Comair only lasts about a year (not inlcuding instructing), so that would be like telling you go get your ratings first and then your degree later, which makes my whole post, pointless. well anyways I still think you should do K state and get ur ratings as you go.

-Brian

Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, FL has the Comair partnership in which you get a 4-year degree while earning your ratings. JU is a private university so you probably dont have to worry about out-of-state tuition. However, JU is very expensive. I talked to a JU admissions rep. and she told me tuition+room and board was ~22,000 per year, not to mention the addition flight costs which would be added to that number. There are some scholarships offered by JU that can help you out. You can go on there website and request info about the school if your interested. www.ju.edu

Back