"Where does a pilot pin his wings if he is flying in the nude?"

Re: \"Where does a pilot pin his wings if he is flying in the nude?\"

Ahh, house of lords, eh?
smile.gif

Dude, it wouldn't be a good website if I occasionally didn't chew into my fellow jetcareers henchmen!

Gotta keep it real for my peeps!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
>>Airlines could care less is "Company A" provides better fuel and service than "Company B" because "Company B" sells fuel for $.03 cheaper<<

Doug you are missing the point, it is not a matter of the fuel being better, but the better managed operation will be able to sell the fuel cheaper due to better effiency!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they're cheaper because they use cheaper less experienced labour or have lower quality standards.

Laying off people is like a gold mine for management, they fire 20% of the workers and then expect the remaining 80% to work harder to keep the same level of output all the while paying the remaining 80% the same wages as before!

And then they wonder why we have increasing unemployment, everyone is now working 50-60hr weeks but only getting paid for 40!

Good for the service industry though, lot's of people no longer have the time to clean their houses or mow their lawns so they hire others to do that now.

As for the pay issue, if major airlines started paying minimum wages all those who loved to fly enough for that salary would flock to cool jobs like flying tourist around the Bahamas or something. Why stay in hotels in Chicago in winter when you can live at the beach resort for the same pay!?

Hum just some ramblings from me.

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of using "leadership" to determine what the problem was, they decided to "manage" the problem and form a policy that prohibited the pilots from leaving the aircraft between flights (other than walk arounds) to improve operational performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm shocked they didn't get a waiver from the FAA to handcuff the pilots to the yokes for their duty day!

I think the airlines should be run by a bunch of ex-military pilots, who were squadron commanders. None of the executives these days have any leadership skills what so ever. An airline should be run by pilots, not Fortune 500 excecs that ran Sears Robuck Inc!

I actually got bored and watched some CSPAN last night and the productivity increases were in fact because of there were less workers producing more because of layoffs.

However, he mentioned that once the economy restarts, the workers that increased output will have massive pressure to produce less because of a rising job market.

I kind of interpreted it as most of the workers that were working harder are only doing so because they really can't get a job anywhere else. But when things turn around, the people working 60 hours and only being compensated for 40 are going to give their "magnificient managers" the finger and move on.

Makes sense!

Doug everyone needs a good ribbing now and then, we do not want our JC superpowers going to our head!

[ QUOTE ]
I think the airlines should be run by a bunch of ex-military pilots, who were squadron commanders.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like my dad ran the household? Yeah, that's great leadership.

Note sarcasm.

Interesting...but I would change that to where they would only control Air Operations...not Finance, Marketing, IT, Customer Service, etc. And I would make it so that all board members & VP's would have to have substantial line pilot experience (Captaincy?) as well as substantial experience in the field that they are VP for. After all, as Doug has pointed out, there are plenty of pilots that are yanked from the line for medical problems. Seems to me that after a few years in their alternate careers (law, business, consulting, etc.) they would become qualified candidate for the upper management track.

I concur with that. Too bad it will never happen.

Back