Where do you stand in your flying career?

[ QUOTE ]
Will you ever? That is... when you're retired from the Air Force?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how long I stay in the USAF, though the civilian flying outlook isn't that great. However, I've never really wanted to fly airlines. Would prefer flying forest firefighting, or work with the INL program down in Colombia/Bolivia.

Would be more interesting to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Would prefer flying forest firefighting, or work with the INL program down in Colombia/Bolivia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking of the Department of State's International Narcotics and Law Enforcement aviation program?

That WOULD be most insteresting!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would prefer flying forest firefighting, or work with the INL program down in Colombia/Bolivia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking of the Department of State's International Narcotics and Law Enforcement aviation program?

That WOULD be most insteresting!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, correct. Have time in the C-208 Caravan, and feel I could easily transition into the OV-10 or Thrush aircrafts. A little dangerous, some good $$$, sounds good to me.

Or I could fly as a FAC for fires in an OV-10 with CDF. Who knows?

Ahhhh man - the Caravan is one of my faves! (not that I've flown it - just dream of doing so one day).

And the OV-10 is a suweeet lookin' craft!! I saw one of them ... somewhere, I don't recall where... and thought "what is THAT?"

Guess they were used in Viet Nam???? Most are now doing things like the INL program or privately owned if I'm not mistaken.

At any rate - Great lookin' plane!! Ever flown one? How is it to fly?

I heard the Bronco, OV-10, could take off and land on a carrier without a catapult. Any truth to that? They say it was designed for short field TO & landings, but wow, that's impressive.

For those of you unfamiliar with the OV 10:
ov10-front-s.jpg

Mike, R2F, Et. all,

There are three OV-10s - in various states of disrepair - tied down across the street from the FBO I use at FFZ (Falcon Executive ... they are in the lot next to "Impala Bob's") And there is a flyable one (all black with a belly tank I think may be fire retardant) that gets tied down behind Marsh Aviation from time to time (over by Anzios).

Sweet@$$ airplane.

Oh and my CFI got hired with the FS doing FAC flying ... Falcon Exec does a lot of FS work. Might want to drop in Mike.

[ QUOTE ]
Ahhhh man - the Caravan is one of my faves! (not that I've flown it - just dream of doing so one day).

And the OV-10 is a suweeet lookin' craft!! I saw one of them ... somewhere, I don't recall where... and thought "what is THAT?"

Guess they were used in Viet Nam???? Most are now doing things like the INL program or privately owned if I'm not mistaken.

At any rate - Great lookin' plane!! Ever flown one? How is it to fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

R2F,

Got a ride in an OV-10, cool plane, but it's a little disconcerting being in-plane with the spinning props in the back seat.
They're still used by the California Department of Forestry as Forward Air Controller planes for firebombers.

jhagan,

Yup the OV-10 was carrier capable. The Marines used to fly them off the Iwo Jima class LPH and Tarawa class LHA helicopter aircraft carriers all the time. No catapult and no arresting gear.

Freaking cool! I'll have to head up to FFZ to check them out. The black OV-10s were previously used by the ATF.

Cointyro,

Correct on the decoding.

Back