When to solo?

smokey1

I have recently started taking lessons out at my local FBO. But because I work and go to summer school. I am only able to fly on the weekends. I would like to get my PPL so that I can start ATP after I graduate in December. My question is will I be able to hold off soloing for a while, because I don't think I will be comfortable being in the aircraft by myself when I only fly on the weekends and occasionally during the week? Also at this pace when do you think my Instructor will begin to mention it? I am pleased to just fly right now. I'm in no rush.1.
Smokey....................................................................................

Sure you can "hold off" on soloing and do some other stuff (dual XCs and such) first, but whenever your instructor says you're good to go- then I'd say go for it. Take it from someone who knows- he/she won't send you up unless you're ready! Time to solo really depends on a lot of different variables- such as how quick you pick it up, how often you fly, weather, etc. Several of my students only fly once a week, and I'd say their average time before soloing, or being ready to solo was about 20ish hrs.

Good luck, and have fun!
cool.gif

Back