When taxing do you use the nose gear wheel or pedals?

OCflyguy88

This has always bugged me, when your taxing on the ground, say in an MD-88 would you use the nose gear wheel (like -88) and handle thing (757...) or the rudder pedals. I always thought the pedals were for the not so sharp turns, and the wheel was for shaper turns? Don't know for sure.

Cory Klimko
SoCal

My understanding is that they almost exclusivly use the tiller (not the pedals) throughout the taxi. Then during the takeoff roll the tiller becomes ineffective and rudder pedals are exclusively used.

Like u said, the tiller allows for a greater deflection of the nose wheel. And in some cases tillers are not provided on the co-pilot side so the Capt. exclusively has taxiing rights haha...But i imagine the Co-pilot is busy w/ programing the FMS. ;-)

I know for the 747-400, nose wheel steering from the rudder pedals allows the nose wheel to turn up to 7 degrees. The tiller is used to turn the nose up to 70 degrees.

Mike, you're right on. It's the same in the RJ. Tiller has 70 degree authority and pedals have 7 degrees. I don't know how they do in the larger airplanes, but in the RJ the tiller is so sensitive most taxi on the straight-aways with the rudder pedals and make turns with the tiller. It's smoother for the passengers in back.

First I've heard of these tillers, where are they located in the cockpit? they like a joystick?

Best picture I could find:
767 tiller

It's hard to describe where it is; if you look to the left of the yoke, you'll see a black round thing with a metal looking rod attached. Attached to the end of the metal deal (it's about 4 inches long) is a black T-handle. That's the nosewheel tiller.

Back