When it rains it pours...

EatSleepFly

Had a very strange day yesterday...

Woke up at 9am to a phone call from my boss telling me he wants to meet to discuss my future flying opportunities for the company. He also wants me to meet a friend of his who is looking to hire someone to fly his '93 A-36 Bonanza.

OK cool. So I tell him I'll meet them for coffee downtown after I take care of signing the lease papers for my new place.

I'm getting ready to go to the leasing office, and I get a voice mail. This time from the chief pilot of a flight school down south that I had sent my resume to repeatedly for almost a year because I was dying to get a job there. Now, six months after I had given up and sent the last resume, the chief pilot leaves me a message to call him on his personal cell phone because they want to hire me. Uhhh, ok.

So I call a CFI friend who lives nearby this flight school and knows a little about it to see what he thinks. During the course of the conversation, I find out that he and a couple other of my friends (who all share an apartment) are looking for another roommate. How convenient.

So at that point I have two options:

1.) Ditch the new apartment, pack up and move back south to live with my friends and take a CFI job at a school that I had always wanted to work for. Or...

2.) Stay here, move into my new place, and see what my future holds flying these Bonanzas.

After meeting with my boss and his friend, and after extensive racking of the brain, I decide to choose option two because the flight time is more valuable. It may be less quantity, but its all high performance/complex/XC/instrument. Plus the opportunity is there to upgrade to a larger, multiengine aircraft in the future.

Then today, the quantity problem was solved when a nearby 141 school (with a 135 operation) hired me as a part time instructor (encouraged by the fact that I brought in a student of my own).

So anyways..I had been in a pretty bad slump over the holidays because of getting the flu real bad and not flying much for a month or so. But things seem to be picking up. I now have two jobs flying two different, VERY well-equipped Bonanzas, and an instructing gig at a decent school this time. Sheesh, I've been pinching myself all day- guess I'm really not dreaming!
blush.gif

Just thought it might be encouraging for others to hear that places ARE hiring. Even here in Ohio in the middle of winter.

Hope 2004 brings you all lots of good flying!
smile.gif

Congrats!

I was right about 'feast or famine', eh?
smile.gif

Congratulations! We all have strange days. Sometimes they're good & sometimes they're bad & sometimes they're in between.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats!

I was right about 'feast or famine', eh?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. Well...I don't know about "feast" just yet. Maybe just Kraft Mac&Cheese instead of Ramen...
tongue.gif

Very glad to hear that. It's cool that you have oppurtunities as an instructor and corporate/personal pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats!...now if you can only get that to happen with the girls!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I can't?
smile.gif

Back