When can the FAA take action against your pilot certificate?

Re: When can the FAA take action against your pilot certific

You entirely missed the point. It isn't if they ask to see your papers, it is if they start walking away with them and you haven't voluntarily surrendered them. The point is to have a witness if, by the rare chance, this illegally happens.

I think you've missed the point (in part). I "heard" of many cases where the big bad inspector steals someone's certificate, but I have yet to see a verifiable case of that actually happening. It is is pilot myth.

And before you show yours to the inspector, you should have asked for and seen his credentials. So if he did decide to wander off with your papers, you know who he was and can call the FAA to report him.

I think you've missed the point (in part). I "heard" of many cases where the big bad inspector steals someone's certificate, but I have yet to see a verifiable case of that actually happening. It is is pilot myth.

And before you show yours to the inspector, you should have asked for and seen his credentials. So if he did decide to wander off with your papers, you know who he was and can call the FAA to report him.

And I've never heard of a case where it actually happened. But people are people, and not everyone does the right thing. *If* it were to happen, it would be a good idea to have a witness. That is all. :bandit:

I am terribly confused, I was told by my instructor today that the FAA is allowed without any reason to just take your certificate, with no cause.
I hope you figured out by now that, no, the FAA is not allowed without any reason to just take your certificate with no cause. Your instructor is unfortunately passing on a bogeyman myth.

Although I have to admit that one day, when I say some pilots preflighting the first 172 with a moving map display at the school where they were teaching, I told them that if they got lost with it, that's exactly what would happen. Maybe they believed me?

Good luck on that test.

ROTFLMAO!! I never hear that one before. I like it!! :D

It's better than that. The 'story' goes that the person went into the restroom, and crawled out the bathroom window, and drove away.

"Hmmm, they've been in there awhile."

All the FBOs I went to, all the bathrooms don't have windows, just a lot of air fresheners.

I am actually thinking about working for the FAA now. I just took a look at their website and I looked under the jobs section and it says that they have excellent job security and the pay maxes out at 172,000 per year. Is it possible for me to be both a future airline pilot and FAA employee, or will that take up my whole life?

You want to be an airline pilot that is a FAA Designated Examiner.

Cash, cash, and MORE cash...discuss

I am actually thinking about working for the FAA now. I just took a look at their website and I looked under the jobs section and it says that they have excellent job security and the pay maxes out at 172,000 per year. Is it possible for me to be both a future airline pilot and FAA employee, or will that take up my whole life?

Have you ever been in a FSDO? It makes me want to play Counting Crows and slit my wrist.

ROTFLMAO!! I never hear that one before. I like it!! :D

When I took my first semester of Aviation Law, that was the professor's mantra. I think he said it every class, and said it applied to every scenario. :laff:

His reasoning is that if they want to, they can find SOMETHING to violate you. Just "go to the bathroom" and call your attorney, since they can't legally detain you.

He pushed the AOPA legal services plan, as well. What is your personal opinion on that?

His reasoning is that if they want to, they can find SOMETHING to violate you. Just "go to the bathroom" and call your attorney, since they can't legally detain you.

You mean kinda like every single checkride you will ever take? There is always something you can bust on. Have a good attitude, don't be a jerk, and unless there is some glaring issue don't worry, be happy
icon14.gif

Yep, just handed some cash over to a DPE who is very senior at CAL for my CMEL today.

He pushed the AOPA legal services plan, as well. What is your personal opinion on that?
I think it's worthwhile. Most of the lawyers involved do things other than aviation also and, like anything else, quality can vary. But the lawyers who participate are generally dedicated (the fees AOPA pays are well below market rate in most areas), there is a periodic training requirement, if you call AOPA, they will usually give you a group of names so you can do some interviewing, and the list of all the attorneys is available and, if you want, you can research and choose from there.

For the annual fee, if you do not already have access to aviation-related legal services (such as being in ALPA), I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

Of course, you can take that with a grain of salt. I'm a participant in the plan in two respects: I pay my annual fee to have the coverage and I'm also one of the participating lawyers.

No argument here. One DE I used would do 10 checkrides a week weather permitting. At 350 a ride that adds up, especially when you consider he was withdrawing from a 401k after 30+ years flying 121.

Back