When are the Aerospace department scholarships awarded?

ahmed

Hi

From what I understand, MTSU automatically considers you for scholarships that relate to university-wide costs such as tuition and room & board when you apply.

I am confused about scholarships that cover the cost of flight training. Are these awarded from the department or from the university? If its from the department, can you be awarded a scholarship before you commit to attending MTSU?

thanks

Hello,

Most all general "university" scholarships are awarded through University Financial Aid. These depend on your financial aid status, academic achievements, and other things of that nature.

The Aerospace Department also awards a number of scholarships each year. They have an application form you must fill out. From my count there were 22 scholarships awarded this year. Each scholarship requires a specific form that you must fill out and return to the Aerospace Department. So, depending on how many you are eligible for, you may be turning in a rather large packet of applications.

You can see the details for each Aerospace scholarship on the Department's website. MTSU Aerospace Scholarships. The application form is also available on the page. If you click each scholarship link, it will provide details of what you need to be eligible. Some depend on GPA, some on major, some require/don't require an essay, etc. The deadline comes early in the year, this year it was February 1. The applications are reviewed and you hear back sometime later that spring. I believe you then receive the funds for the following fall. So the next round of applications they will accept will be in early 2011.

Hope that helps.

I really like it. The flight school has some of the best airplanes/equipment I've seen in the collegiate programs. The DA-40 G1000s are fun to fly, especially working on your instrument ratings. Glass is the future of aviation and I think its a great benefit to learn the system from the beginning.

Sometimes the activities/classes on campus seem a bit disconnected from the flight school. Pretty much everything you need to know for the FAA licenses you learn from your instructor at the flight school and the supplied texts, so the campus classes just "enhance" what you learned. Most of the campus faculty don't really interact with the flight school, although some do and are great to see out there!

Overall I think its a good program. The costs seem inline with the equipment and "flight school" setting. Murfreesboro is a decent town and you have Nashville close.

Back