What's your p/t job?

AZBigDog

What\'s your p/t job?

I'm considering getting a part-time job to pay for part of my flight training. (I already work full-time) Eventually, I will have to get some sort of loan to help speed up the training.

My question is what kind of part-time job do you see as the most ideal for this situation?

For the folks already doing this sort of thing, what kind of p/t job to you have and does it work for you?

Thanks for your feedback

AZ

Re: What\'s your p/t job?

My recommendation is go get a p/t ramp job at your local airport, either fueling & washing a/c, or whatever you can do to meet pilots...see networking thread for more information.

BigDog---I reccomend if you're close to Sky Harbor... go get a job there with whomever has the airlines fueling contracts. Or a ramp job with Mesa (AWA Express). I work at Toledo Express in Ohio... small airport, lots of RJ's and SABB's. I can't tell you how many cards I have from guys. Not to mention we have flight schools drop by our ramp with their 172's and what not. It really gives you a good chance to evaluate some options for the future. Who knows, you might even get a job offer out of the whole deal!

Best wishes.

Chris

I second txpilot on this one. I was just in IAH for a week doing ramp training, and I made a TON of contacts down there. Add those to the SWA pilots I met on the ramp, and I've got a nice little web of a network going. Now if I only had the hours to DO something with it......

[ QUOTE ]
Add those to the SWA pilots I met on the ramp, and I've got a nice little web of a network going.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's what it's ALL about.

I never got a job without networking, except for my CFI job.

And that took a l o o o o o o n g time.

I ended up working as a lot-porter at Lexus cleaning cars. Then I switched over to working the graveyard shift at a 24 hour fitness place & held a job on the line at the fligth school.
I started detailing aircraft for cheap to suppliment and network.

Of course airport jobs get you networking, but you gotta do whatever it is that gets you through training - and if that means taking 2 $6/hr jobs but your moving forward....remember you can sleep when you're retired.

-mox

I used to sling Yay-Yo when I was paying for my training...

Just a joke, officers...
grin.gif

I'll have to agree the txpilot. Working for the local airport as a rampie is a great way to meet people. You may even get a few rides or find a right seat at nights to build time.

Good luck

i work full time with a company that pays pretty decent, it's allowing me to do put about 1000-1200 a month in flying. it's not at the airport, but it's allowing me to work through my ratings at a decent pace. whatever can get you through it and pay the bills.

[ QUOTE ]
i work full time with a company that pays pretty decent, it's allowing me to do put about 1000-1200 a month in flying. it's not at the airport, but it's allowing me to work through my ratings at a decent pace. whatever can get you through it and pay the bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heyyyyy!!!! Stop being so specific!!!

grin.gif

I'm a full time corporate pilot and my part time job is as a Army National Guard Pilot ... you can't beat it.

Jim

Hope you are not the one that shot the school in NJ the other day..
buck.gif
...just joking. I solute you sir!

and by the way, what part of SW Asia are you stationing?

My part time job is being an airline pilot.

My full time job is living off of my wife's income. Do the dishes, wash a few loads of laundry, and sweep twice a month - spend the rest of my time on the golf course - and it pays a whooooole lot more than flying.

grin.gif

Back