What's wrong with ME?

RICHARD5

I met a guy who boasts of his rotor wing experience and how he now flies in his state's NG. I asked if he ever trained at a certain base and he said he was based there for many months. So I asked him if he knew a certain person at that base. He said, No, who is he? I said he's a good friend of mine and is THE IP for the base. Basically, no one goes through that base without flying with my friend the IP. It turns out that Mr Awesome Rotorwing is not part of any required fligt crew...he's a paper pusher.

I met a guy who said his former job was 135 ME cargo. It turns out he doesn't even have a ME rating but has received dual in a C-337. He argued with a 135 chief pilot that a ME rating received in a 337 (which he doesn't have) is good for all twins.

I met a guy who claims he has very close the same amount of hours as I (just under 1,000) but I have seen how he couldn't navigate out of a paper bag, misses ATC calls, can't get a handle on hot starts, and generally seems perplexed and befuddled all the time. Gosh, I think, most of my hours are long x/c (including clear across the country several times...in night, mtn terrain, adverse wx, etc) because I really tried to challenge myself on every flight. But I can't help but think I would be judged the same as him if going by TT.

More than a few possers out there.

A 337 requires a MEL rating. However if you get your initial ME rating in one, you will have a restriction on your certificate "limited to centerline thrust". You must get a normal MEL rating in a convention twin if you want to fly anything else.

Total time can be meaningless in realtion to experiance and skill.

I sat in initial at Flight Express with a goofball that claimed to have oodles of time in a C402 (highest TT in the class also), openly admitted to flying illegal charters, couldn't do a weight and balance, couldn't tell you the first thing about an instrument approach chart, and never scored higher than a 50% on any of the written tests.

Just brush em off, they'll get theirs. Hopefully they don't take someone down with them.

Sounds like your a super pilot. All of the other guys out there pale in comparison to your infinite knowledge. Good luck!

Theres a good long section in Ernest Gann's Fate is the Hunter about a guy like that. Good read for sure.

Sounds like your a super pilot. All of the other guys out there pale in comparison to your infinite knowledge. Good luck!
Not at all. But I can truthfully account for every hour in my logbooks, I don't need to lie about what I've done. I keep my mouth shut and ears open and seek out more experienced pilots. And yes, I have not spent hour upon hour in the pattern but when I have stayed in the patt I made each flight purposeful. I have striven to be a pilot and not just another passenger.

In case it hasn't crossed your mind yet, what I have alluded to is an attitude of learning...always learning. A guy wants to take a short cut, that's his life. But he should realize he will eventually put himself in a place of compromising flight safety let alone his career when the poop hits the prop. I just don't want to be around that guy.

Sounds like your [sic] a super pilot. All of the other guys out there pale in comparison to your infinite knowledge. Good luck!

Probably the most insightful, helpful and informative post ever to grace the 0s and 1s of JC.

Thank you for your contribution.

I don't think the OP was the lest bit arogant, if that was the point of your post.

It is a real suprise when a humble low time pilot who knows how much he has to learn runs into a cocky pilot who can't fly his way out of a paper bag.

When I went through initial at my company, I assumed that I would be one of the weekest links since I wasn't reall current on instruments. When I passed my checkride, I asked myself "If I passed, who failed". In the time since, I have seen several high time pilots not make the cut because they did not take training seriously or have the right attitude.

Aviation has more than its fair share of Walter Mittys. They're easy to spot, as they're usually the ones smashing everyone over the head with their (fake) logbooks. Water off a duck's back, dude. They can't really do the job, as TF points out, and they'll get weeded out sooner or later.

That said, I'm reactive to the "always learning" mantra as well. Of course you're always learning. You don't need to make a point out of how s***-hot you are and how other guys, in your opinion, aren't. No pop quizzes on the AIM, please. No asking what charts I review while in cruise, either.

Let the CP worry about standards and who knows how to fly. That's his job.

What is this AIM you speak of? Charts are for people that are lost...

I kid, I kid.
I've crossed paths with a few of these fake gangsta's in my short career. They're usually the ones that also brag of their exploits with the womens and pass out after a few beers and shots only to soil themselves later on that night.
The best thing to do is always strive to be the most knowledgeable, most professional by the book kind of guy so you'll never be confused with this sort.

I try to be humble but maybe I'm not at all.

I've made extended blue water passages across the Pacific (North and South) in 65' and 43' sailboats with a two crew. I can't count how many coastal passages I've made. I've been in weather which will make some cry for Mommy. I had my USCG 100 ton license and used it. I formed, owned & operated several successful business' and was responsible for many employees. I taught Jr and Senior HS. I've surfed big waves and have been to places I probably shouldn't mention. I can field strip an M-16. I can dress and carry out an Elk. I have friends who will drop everything at anytime day or night if I ask them too.

I'm 50 yrs old and have had a very rich and varied life. But I save my stories for over a beer with close friends. You don't hear me talk much about what I have done.

So when some obnoxious, arrogant 20 something tries to tell me how it is I really don't listen. And that rubs them raw. I strongly dislike arrogance, especially without substance. I mean, I would converse with them until they brought out the BS.

These folks I mentioned are all coworkers at my current employment. Sure, there are a few young kids whom I really like and get along with because they don't feel they have to prove themselves, their flying is the proof.

But I draw the line when someone lies or boasts about how much they've done in order to advance themselves in their current field. Yeah, that's it; that they have to try to raise themselves to be top dog in some imagined heirarchy and that they see everyone else as competition...well, that's BS. I don't hang out with liers and cheats. I hold a standard and I guess that makes me a relic to be belittled in this overly permissive society.

Not to boast about myself but I can't remember when I didn't have the attitude of trying to glean wisdom from my superiors. Yes, that implies I accepted that I had superiors. That's not such a foriegn idea...well, not to me anyway.

So I spent my former life doing other things. Now I've decided the rest of my life will be as a pilot. I don't try to be something I'm not, conversely I know what I am and where I am. Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

You're just an old guy . . . what do you know about the current world.:bandit:

I am your superior! PWND!

all of the above is:sarcasm: from another old guy :D

I know a couple of guys, one a FLIGHT SCHOOL DIRECTOR and the other is their new student recruiter who advertise one being a MEI (because he took one training flight) :panic: and the other a CFII (because he is supposedly working on it) :banghead:

I don't think the OP was the lest bit arogant, if that was the point of your post.

I thought he was, in my experience, the ones who are always pointing out weaknesses in others have glaring weaknesses themselves. (maybe its some sort of compensation syndrome) The best pilots I have flown with never go on unsolicited rants on someone "with the same amount of hours as I" couldn't blah, blah, blah, or name drop about some NG IP. That attitude wouldn't go far with me.

Old Pete, you rascal. I wasn't name dropping, we were conversing and I happened to mention my friend by name. After all, the subject was helos and a certain base. I guess there is attitude in that, eh? But when he said he didn't know the guy was when his gig was up, he betrayed himself.

And I fail to see how posting this stuff on a forum is the same as saying it face to face to the imposters, ie, a direct challenge. But hey, you got me nailed.

And lying is now a weakness? A weakness like, say a student's inexperience in landing?

I'm talking about character, integrity, and discipline but you want to dismiss that as a character flaw in me? Wow.

You're probably a skilled pilot and an all around good guy, I'm just saying that's the way your original post came across.

Met a few of those types too. Putting that they have over 3,000 hours of Microsoft flight sim time on a resume, stating that they could confidently walk on to a 757, start it up and take it across the pond when all they had was a fresh commercial multi certificate. I get a kick out of meeting them, just gives me something to chuckle about when I go about my day.

Back