What's with the Wright & Shelby Amendments at Dallas Love Field?

Snow

'Not a new member'
What\'s with the Wright & Shelby Amendments at Dallas Love Field?

"Travel into and out of Dallas Love Field is subject to the limitations of the Wright and Shelby Amendments. Federal law prohibits Southwest from offering transportation for sale between Dallas Love Field and any point beyond Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Alabama."

What's the purpose of this and does it only apply to Southwest Airlines?

Re: What\'s with the Wright & Shelby Amendments at Dallas Love Field?

The original purpose of the "Wrong" Amendment was to kill little ole Southwest. Back in late '60s/early 70s DFW was being built....at that time it was decided that DFW would serve as the regions major airport. However when SWA was started they decided to to operate out of Love Field. After a couple years of lawsuits SWA was given the right to use Love,however there were restrictions on that use.

The Shelby Amendment came in the 80s (?) and added AL and MS to the mix. The amendments apply to everyone flying into DAL. Some exceptions to the restrictions are the ASA flights to ATL and there used to be CoEx flights to CLE. And who could forget Legend,they flew to IAD,LGA,LAS,and LAX using old DC-9s configured with 56 seats. As long as the airplane has no more than 56 seats you can fly wherever your hearts desire.

The Wright Amendment also has it's blessings. WN pretty much owns DAL. They have all the remaining gates (ASA and AA use 3 makeshift gates) and because of the 56 seat rule...nobody else wants to start service there. However there's a new sheriff in town.....Jim Parker now heads SWA with Colleen Barrett. Jim made a statment that he is not bound by the "gentalmans agreement" that ole Herbie had....the one about not fighting the Wright Amendement. So as we look to the future,we may see Red,Gold,& Blue 737s heading off to places like Los Angeles,Seattle,Baltimore and Orlando outta LUV Field!

Before DFW airport was built, American and Braniff were based at DAL. When DFW airport was built both companies were forced out at great expense and against their wishes - Dallas being larger and housing more large businesses was a better location. The Wright and Shleby Amendments were meant to discourage any airlines from serving DAL by restricting where airlines could fly to/from. When Southwest started it was strictly a Texas airline, so DAL made perfect sense.

In recent years Southwest has been pushing for the easing of the Amendments, but American has been fighting hard against it. American moved at great expense due to the laws, and to move back would be a great expense as well. Giving SWA a competative advantage at a time when they are already beating everyone else is unwise and very unfair. AMR does operate some flights out of DAL (at least they did recently), and so does Continental - to Houston. But to answer your question, all airlines are still subject to the Amendments. If SWA wants to operate long-range flights from the Dallas area, they have to do it on the same rules the American does.

[ QUOTE ]
Giving SWA a competative advantage at a time when they are already beating everyone else is unwise and very unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough S**t!
mad.gif

If AA can't get their crap together and compete,then a Chap 7 they shall go! With Delta scaling back their ops at DFW, AA will virtually own DFW! And why should anyone care about protecting AA.....after all the dirty and underhanded things they have done to run other airlines outta business. Look at what they are trying to do to JBlu......overlapping every one of our routes outta JFK! They never saw the need to run JFK-LGB or JFK-OAK before,why now after a LCC starts the route. I say let AA get a bloody nose. Dave is already pissed,that why LGB-ATL is starting to compete with Delta.....I'm just waiting for him to announe JFK-ORD and JFK-DFW. It's time to kick some AAss!

Before Dave starts thinking he's Herb Kelleher, which he isn't, he needs to remember that only one low cost carrier has survived more than 10 years after reregulation.

Remember, Legend Air was supposed to revolutionize travel from Dallas.

Alas, PeoplExpress was going to bring air travel to the people with simple fares and passenger-friendly service.

Air Atlanta was going to target high frequency, upper crust clientele.

Sierra Expressway was going to match California cities with the Southwest network to bring low fares to a town near you!

Air 21 was going to bring jet service to Fresno, more cities coming soon! Pilots make nothing, pay for their own training which keeps airfares lowwwww.

Muse Air/Mark Air both eaten by SWA

And those are just off the top of my head while enjoying a strange breakfast of leftover chicken soup!
smile.gif

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that there is a similar restriction for commercial flights out of LGA. I had once heard that no airline can operate a flight out of LGA further than 1,200 nm - not nearly as restrictive as the DAL situation.

I don't know about the LGA thing - does anybody if that is the case or not?

Jason

Yea I hard something like that too. I thought that it was that no one could fly direct to anywhere outside of a 1500 mile radius from LGA or DCA. I understand why they made the rule for Love field, but why would they have a restriction like that for LGA? I would think that an LGA- LAX/SFO nonstop would do great.

[ QUOTE ]
Before Dave starts thinking he's Herb Kelleher, which he isn't, he needs to remember that only one low cost carrier has survived more than 10 years after reregulation.

Remember, Legend Air was supposed to revolutionize travel from Dallas.

Alas, PeoplExpress was going to bring air travel to the people with simple fares and passenger-friendly service.

Air Atlanta was going to target high frequency, upper crust clientele.

Sierra Expressway was going to match California cities with the Southwest network to bring low fares to a town near you!

Air 21 was going to bring jet service to Fresno, more cities coming soon! Pilots make nothing, pay for their own training which keeps airfares lowwwww.

Muse Air/Mark Air both eaten by SWA

And those are just off the top of my head while enjoying a strange breakfast of leftover chicken soup!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But Doug.........all those airlines were either undercaptialized or overexpanded (or both!). Jblu is neither.

My problem is that airlines like AA and DL look at a 40 plane operation in JFK as some kind of threat that needs to be exterminated. Between those two airlines, they have overlapped each and every route we operate (at least outta JFK). And the sad thing about it.......we're actually winning. Each and every flight is leaving packed full of VERY content passnengers. Dave knows he isn't Herb Kelleher....but as someone who met both men.....he's pretty damn close. The sense of humor is totally the same (i.e naming two new airplanes "Canyon Blue" and "Song Sung Blue").

Back to the orignal subject......if SWA decides to fight the Wright Amendment, I'll be among the first to write letters,make phone calls,even go to DC to make a case for it. Deregulation is just that.........no regulations.....meaning if SWA wanted to fly Love Field-Moscow,they should be allowed too.

Hey you know what they say at SWA:It's not just a job,It's a crusade!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey you know what they say at SWA:It's not just a job,It's a crusade!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this attitude is what really seperates JBLU and SW from DL and AA.

Crusade? Mission! haha!

Sorry, bad jab! Mad props to my peeps in SLC.

I just went to JetBlue.com and found out that I could buy a one way ticket on May 18th from ATL-LGB for only $99. On Delta.com, it said that a one way ticket in coach for the same day would cost me over 1,000 dollars! Delta better find ways to cut their cost or else they're gonna lose a lot of O&D traffic to B6.

Why is that funny?

Could it be because the employees at SW,JBlu,F9 and FL actually enjoy going to work?

Could it be because we actually get along with each other?

Could it be because we don't have to worry about upper mangement trying to cut our wages and lay us off?

Or is it that these four airlines are making money,growing,and having a lotta fun that's gnawing at everyone?

I give 110% everyday at work......I did it at AA,SW and now at B6. However the only two places that I saw other people giving 110% was at SW and B6. I'm not saying that employees at other airlines don't give their all to their work,but there's something about those 4 airlines that make people bust ass to get the job done.

I know what it is: The desire to survive. Why do us "LCC" folks have that desire? Because at one time or another,a "major" has tried to kill us. Sorry it ain't gonna happen. You guys wanna know what people around were saying when Delta announced "Song". The general consensus was that if we were gonna go down, we were gonna make it hurt! Plain and simple. I wasn't at SW in 1971 (wasn't even a twinkle in the old man's eye!)but I am at JB in 2003. I will bust my ass to see this airline make it.

I know I'm pretty much the only one around here who plans on making a career at a "Low-Cost Airline". The majority of you guys see youself's flying 767s and 777s off around the globe for American,Delta and United. I don't......and that's why I take a hard line on issues such as this one. I see myself doing 4-5 legs a day,helping the F/As clean the cabin,helping the rampers out in the bins,eating those godawful peanuts by the pound. I know that I won't make as much,I'll really have to work at making my 401k work for my retirement......but hey to be surrounded by the most awsome,capable employee group there is in the airline industry, I can live with that.

737:

I agree with you 100%. I would love to work at a company where everyone enjoys what they are doing and wouldn't hesitate to pitch in where help is needed.

I am a native Bostonian and have family in NY. I spend a lot of time in NYC, B6's hometown, so I'm all for anything from the Big Apple.

Right now, I'm actually in a quandry. I have asked for my name to be submitted to the FAA for consideration to become an air traffic controller. I only have one shot at this and if the FAA calls me and I turn it down, that's it. However, if I ask my professor to hold off I buy myself 2 years to decide from the time I graduate. I am debating whether or not to become a gate agent for B6 in BTV and work my way up the ranks.

An ATC career seems fun, but the more I get into it the more BS one has to put up with. It's not just keeping planes apart, it's keeping them apart while complying with Letters of Agreements, Standard Operating Procedures, FARs and the rest.

For the first time in my life, I really don't know what to do. Ack!

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a lighthearted tease because since the CEO of JBLU is an LDS, he probably went on mission as opposed to a crusade.

That's it! Just a play on word! Whew!
smile.gif

Anyway, competition is cool. I think the idea that Delta is starting "Song Air" (Damn, what a stupid name), using a good product in the cabin and using Delta seniority list 757/767 category pilots, this is going to be fun!

Think of it this way, I can talk smack at Jet Blue, you can talk smack about Song, but we'll both take over the world muhahahahaha!

But of course, the last guy standing is going to be singing "Eye of the Tiger", Blue Boy!

Now wasn't that fun?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way, I can talk smack at Jet Blue, you can talk smack about Song, but we'll both take over the world muhahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I can agree to that.........What's with that barf green paint job?
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But of course, the last guy standing is going to be singing "Eye of the Tiger", Blue Boy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny........next time you're in Hotlanta,let me know. We'll paint the town <font color="blue"> Blue </font>
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I can agree to that.........What's with that barf green paint job?
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. The customer service features are a great idea however, the person who created the name "Song" and that nasty green needs to take a long walk off of a short pier! Ack!

[ QUOTE ]

Funny........next time you're in Hotlanta,let me know. We'll paint the town <font color="blue"> Blue </font>
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now isn't this going to be fun?
smile.gif

I just saw the website for Song. It sucks! Who in there right mind came up with that? You have to watch the promo to get the feel of the personnalities of those individuals. Jeez, they are not all there! Is there a picture anywhere of this new paintscheme? I tried the website, but didn't see anything, plus the promo music was driving me up the wall.

Anybody got a Web site for Song?

Oh wait I got a great marketing idea!

"Song, we love you long time!"

Ok, I know ... hell here I come.

[ QUOTE ]
"Song, we love you long time!"

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

Speaking of Song, has anyone ever read/seen/heard of the play M. Butterfly (not madam butterfly)?

To make a long story short, the character Song is a transvestite male who marries another dude and they live together for 20 some years before he figures out "she's" a guy.

Back